galvanized pipe life

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives galvanized pipe life

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

The condo building where I live in FL, is 24 years old and has galvanized piping through out. They want to repipe the entire buliding with PVC. Does that seem necessary? There concern is our new pumping system will have greater pressure then the old and will cause leaks and blow outs. Thanks for your time

Participant

frank: I live in Fl too…take my word for it, 24 years is a long long life for galvanized pipe..Bud

Participant

frank: I live in Fl too…take my word for it, 24 years is a long long life for galvanized pipe..Bud

Participant

Bud you sound like the guy trying to get our repiping job he keeps saying take my word for it also. I dont understand what living in FL has to do with when you should repipe. : The condo building where I live in FL, is 24 years old and has galvanized piping through out. They want to repipe the entire buliding with PVC. Does that seem necessary? There concern is our new pumping system will have greater pressure then the old and will cause leaks and blow outs. Thanks for your time

Participant

If the pipe was a good quality and the water is not too corrosive, then 24 years is not a long time. But if neither of the above is true, then you may be nearing the end of its life. The question is whether you have had leaks inthe piping or your pressure is very low when the water is used. : The condo building where I live in FL, is 24 years old and has galvanized piping through out. They want to repipe the entire buliding with PVC. Does that seem necessary? There concern is our new pumping system will have greater pressure then the old and will cause leaks and blow outs. Thanks for your time

Participant

I was cut off before I finished. But, PVC is not the way to go. It is not approved for installion inside a building and will not handle hot water. In fact hot water will soften it so that it can bulge and then blow out. As for the pressure the type of piping has nothing to do with it. When everything is shut off, the pressure is equal to the city pressure outside, and if anything is going to blow apart, it will happen with your steel pipe just as fast as with any other material. : If the pipe was a good quality and the water is not too corrosive, then 24 years is not a long time. But if neither of the above is true, then you may be nearing the end of its life. The question is whether you have had leaks inthe piping or your pressure is very low when the water is used. : : The condo building where I live in FL, is 24 years old and has galvanized piping through out. They want to repipe the entire buliding with PVC. Does that seem necessary? There concern is our new pumping system will have greater pressure then the old and will cause leaks and blow outs. Thanks for your time

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This