2 Boilers in old,newly purchased home no instructions

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing 2 Boilers in old,newly purchased home no instructions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We recently purchased a home, that has 2 boilers or hot water heat, and the previous owner told us that we DID NOT need to have the one on. Well we found that to be a lie. Any how I do have them both on, and they are both American Standard type, 1 looks smaller than the other, and I don’t no much else about them. My question(s) is the 2 dial pointers, 1 black and 1 red, what are the functions and what should I keep them on, I’m guessing these are water? There was an addition put on the house about 20 yrs or so, so I guess that is why there is 2. The old part of the house has the old type (rib) radiators, and the newer part has baseboard type, in the baseboard type I can hear water wooshing through these, when the pump comes on. Is this ok? I know this is long and involved, but please HELP. Thank You

Participant

The outer casting (Jacket) of the boiler doesn’t tell you which one is “bigger” for that you need to read the BTU input.

Depending on how these boilers are hooked up whether you need to fire one or both.

For example my home is 2 stories not including full basement and I have 2 boilers.

The “smaller boiler” heats the upper floor 12 rooms and the bigger boiler handles the lower floor 11 rooms plus the basement.

The gage you describe is combination of pressure/altitude gage.

The black arrow is the cold fill pressure (height/altitude) normally set between 23 ft-
          34+ ft.

The RED part is your pressure gage red lined at 30 PSI.

The cast iron radiators will give you a much more uniform and Quiet heat compared to copper fin tubing.

I would how ever strongly suggest you hire a licensed Master plumber (ask to see the license) and have him/her go over these boilers with you.

Participant

The outer casting (Jacket) of the boiler doesn’t tell you which one is “bigger” for that you need to read the BTU input.

Depending on how these boilers are hooked up whether you need to fire one or both.

For example my home is 2 stories not including full basement and I have 2 boilers.

The “smaller boiler” heats the upper floor 12 rooms and the bigger boiler handles the lower floor 11 rooms plus the basement.

The gage you describe is combination of pressure/altitude gage.

The black arrow is the cold fill pressure (height/altitude) normally set between 23 ft-
            34+ ft.

The RED part is your pressure gage red lined at 30 PSI.

The cast iron radiators will give you a much more uniform and Quiet heat compared to copper fin tubing.

I would how ever strongly suggest you hire a licensed Master plumber (ask to see the license) and have him/her go over these boilers with you.

Participant

Thank you, very much. I still do not understand how much water I should put in or should I need to check on a daily basis, I guess I am thinking of my childhood, when I used to have to “bank” the furnace, each night, and I think put water in. Well Thanks, again.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This