Controlling Steam Radiators

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Controlling Steam Radiators

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have steam radiator heat. Although it works quite well, I am having trouble adjusting the heat levels in the bedrooms. One bedroom is so much warmer than the others that a bearable temperature in that room, means freezing to death in the others. Can I partially close the valve on the warm room’s radiator without causes any major problems? Or is there some other way to even the temperature across the bedrooms?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Participant

If you have only one pipe attached to the bottom of the radiators, then your system is a one-pipe system. Partially closing the hand vavle will partially block the return of condensed steam water back to the boiler. As stream tries to force its way past the resisiting water, the water will sizzle and perhaps bang. Leave the valve wide open.

The rate and quantity of steam is regulated by the size of the hole in the air vent. A smaller hole will let air out slowly, letting steam in slowly. When steam hits a good vent, the hole shuts to prevent more steam entering. So if you want less steam, use a vent with a smaller hole. The vent valves are rated A,B,C,D,E or 1,2,3,4,5; use the one that lets the air out at the best rate for room comfort. Adjustable automatic vents are available at more cost that let you set the control vent to a satisfactory setting, then the valve takes care of the temperature sensing in the room.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This