pipes’ high pitched humming noise

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing pipes’ high pitched humming noise

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Recently our pipes started making a strange noise. When the water faucet (any of them) is turned off
        the pipes start to sing a sort of high pitched humming noise ofter for over a minute before subsiding. Opening
        another faucet somewhere else makes the sound stop. Until you close -that- faucet too. This is not a “pipe
        hammering” sound (loud thunk caused by lack of air in the lines). I can’t think of anything else to try, so I’m
        pretending its a variant of thge hammering phenomena and I’m going to drain the pipes and fill the buffers with
        air. Any other suggestions?
        Thanks

Participant

Adding to my previous post, I read elsewhere that this is caused by a faulty valve in a toilet. I experimented by cutting off water to a toilet. The noise was reduced. Cutting off water to all toilets eliminated the phenomenon entirely. Later, after the water was restored to all toilets, the noise has not retured so far for the remainder of the day. Why? What explanation could there be for this? Some weird non-corporeal manifestation of the Toilette Tenors returned from beyond to croon their haunting melodies? Does this make any sense at all? Can someone explain it to me? Who invented liquid soap, and why?

Participant

art

Participant

Trenton,
              The fillvalve in the toilet tank when it gets older and worn sometimes will not seat properly when it has completed filling the tank.
              This allows for a gap just large enough to scream water through and make the noise you hear.
              When it finally seats and stops the noise, you will not hear it again until the toilet is flushed and the process starts all over again. This noise can also come from the faucet washers that again are not seating properly.
              Replace the fill valves and or the washers in the faucets.
              Good Luck,
              Bill
              The Local Plumber
              Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This