Toilet Bowl Mysteriously Drains

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet Bowl Mysteriously Drains

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have an upstairs toilet for which the bowl will mysteriously drain over the course of 4-6 hours.

I suspect that something in my venting is causing the the bowl to siphon dry but I am unsure about how to test this.

The flange seal does not leak and I have replaced the toilet. This toilet is situated close to the stack and where the stack exits the roof. A tub and sink share the same drain. The attached sink has a supplemental vent that exits the roof within 10 feet of the stack.

I have an identical toilet situated downstairs and connected to the same stack and drain – this one works properly.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Participant

Oscillation can cause this kind of phenomena.

Do you possibly have a down draft situation?

You could also have a mop string or dental floss or some other absorbent materials acting like a wick causing capillary action.

The easiest thing is to auger this toilet 1st THEN if nothing is found
          check your vent location for possible down drafts.

Participant

Hi Sylvan,

Thanks for the feedback.

There is nothing in the toilet. It is brand new and I checked its trap before I installed it.

I don’t know what a down draft situation is – could you explain what is is and how you detect it.

Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This