Banging noises in the boiler

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Banging noises in the boiler

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Please can you help!

We recently had our conventional boiler moved a couple of meters to make its positioning more convenient. Since the move, the boiler has made lots of banging noises.

To alleviate some of them, I added some inhibitor to the water, this has reduced the bangs, but they have not gone completely. It now sounds like someone is tapping on the casing for the boiler. This occurs when the boiler starts up, and when the boiler switches off.

Also, there is a whoosing noise created when the boiler switches on.

I have checked the expanision tank, it is not getting warm and there is water present.

Could the problem possibly be scale, the boiler is about 15 years old, but we don’t live in a particularly hard water area. Would de-scaler help? We have been recommended Scale-away (I think it was called – could this be left in the system, or would it need to be drained afterwards?)

Thanks
        Tony Park

Participant

The whooshing noise indicates that air is moving in the boiler. The pipe change may have made an air trap at the boiler piping. The air should move out over time to an air scoop in the system.

It is possible that dirt and scale may create noise as the water starts moving through the boiler. This must be removed.

Participant

So adding a de-scaler should help? Do you know about this ‘Scale-away’ or ‘Scalemaster’? It sells for around £6.50 + vat. Can it be left in circulating?

Thanks,

Tony

Participant

When the boiler was moved, it was drained, so the scale dried and separated from the metal. The whooshing sound may be the sound of this loose scale moving around. There should not be much of it. Descaler is not recommended by the manufacturer of the boiler and is not usually necessary.

Participant

Is there anything I can do to quiet down the boiler? I don’t really want to drain the system, since I have added inhibitor and it will remove this if I do? Do I just need to leave it to settle?

Thanks,
                Tony

Participant

Please can anyone help – the noises seem to be getting worse!

quote:

Originally posted by tonypark:
                  Is there anything I can do to quiet down the boiler? I don’t really want to drain the system, since I have added inhibitor and it will remove this if I do? Do I just need to leave it to settle?

Thanks,
                  Tony

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This