cracked radiator

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing cracked radiator

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have renovated an old house and have a cracked radiator. Do you know any where that I could have it repaired or replaced in the New Jersey area at reasonable cost?

Thanks

Participant

To clarify your request:
          You want someone with the skill to either remove a section of broken cast-iron and rebuild the radiator
          OR you want someone with the skill to remove a section of cast-iron, drill and braze it. Either job can take some hours. The person with this skill has learned it at his expense and has gathered several thousand dollars of tools to do it. He had to open a business front and buy a truck to transport this equipment to and from your home. You would like this person to repair something that is no longer in production and is technically an antique. You would like this done for somewhere between $200 to $1000. Is this summary of your request correct?

Participant

Dear Mr. Kestenholtz: My question really is whether or not it is more feasable to repair or replace the radiator and are there plumbers who are still dealing with these old systems in this area. Also, I would like to ask whether or not the steam pipes should be insulated and with what material. I had asbestos removed before I began the renovation.

David Stein

Participant

Lines are now insulated with preformed-for-pipe-size cloth-wrapped fiberglass for steam or foam for hot water lines.

Reasonable is a viewpoint. New cast-iron radiators are available. Repaired ones are iffy, becoming more rare, and not inexpensive. The main point IMO is if the existing radiator is hightly decorative and matching others within the home of beautiful design.

Participant

Shalom David HEY HESHY cut David a break OK? LOL

David you can have the existing radiator HYDROSTATICALLY tested and the cracked section removed and possibly put back into service IF the cracked section is not an end piece.

. I took a 46 section CI radiator and made it into a 24 section NO PROBLEM.

For a second hand radiator like the beautiful Embossed ones in older homes you can drive over the George Washington Bridge come to NYC (Bronx) go to Boston Road and look for “Mikes pipe yard”

A lot of cracked radiators can even be repaired by using a bronze filler metal or cast Iron welding rod Oxyacetylene is my favorite way to repair these things as I can control the heating and cooling process better then arc welding.

Using a licensed Master plumber in this case is OVER KILL as most decent journeymen can weld ESPECIALLY in the Tri state area where the apprenticeship training is second to none.

You also have some very qualified boiler welders in NJ who could also do a great job of welding cracked radiators BUT this service is not cheap.

Connecticut also has a gret place or locating used radiators in a place called HOME WRECKERS.

NYC has several plumbing shops that remove old radiators that are still in fantastic shape and you can contact some of them asking to keep you in mind so you can come and get them.

You may also opt for Cast Iron Base Board if you want the fantastic Quality of Cast Iron with the low profile of that baseboard offers.

Ah Decissions, decissions.

You can also try any scrap metal junk dealer normal price is around $10 per section.

Try the local housing authority as they scrap radiators constantly TYPICAL Governemt waste.

Hey David Good luck

Participant

Hey sylvan you hit the nail on the head…That comment about the quality of the tri state journeymen is not to be contested.You basically gave all the answers I would. One question though Isn’t there a ni rod you can weld with? also would black and white work on this ? I have used it before but not on a pressure system …It was on ahci leader line…..it worked nice B Pelham Bay Bx NY

Participant

Hey sylvan you hit the nail on the head…That comment about the quality of the tri state journeymen is not to be contested.You basically gave all the answers I would. One question though Isn’t there a ni rod you can weld with? also would black and white work on this ? I have used it before but not on a pressure system …It was on ahci leader line…..it worked nice B Pelham Bay Bx NY

Participant

You guys rock! This is the best site for useful plumbing info.

Participant

NYPlumber Your correct. Black and White IS fantastic and Yes it is ideal for Cast Iron (and brass and bronze)

I used it on many cracked steam radiators and cracked hub Cast Iron Joints and even a cracked engine block (long story).

We used B&W especially as an apprentice when the hub cracked in the winter when pouring a lead joint and packing the lead too hard working in NYC high rises and alterations.

My local 2 training was amazing in the jobbing aspects :-)

I do not know of any jobbing shop including my own that we don’t have B&W on board the van.

The reason I didn’t suggest B&W is the high concentration of Sulfur and having an unskilled person using it with even a propane torch
                        could cause a major fire or burns especially in the home.

Most novice folks either over heat the base metal Or worse put a direct flame on the B&W and hello melt down city.

Ever see B&W dripping on fire?

Remember NYPlumber we work in one of the oldest cities in America with some of the worlds tallest buildings with the most stringent plumbing code / building codes in the nation.

How many boon dock ditch diggers can boast about using NY Steam 125# PSI or installing 8″ leader lines 47 stories high connected to an 18″ trap?

Ask 99.9% of the folks reading these lists what is a suds pressure zone.

Very few of the folks would ever think of using Quality Holby mixing valves instead of the cheap crap as they just dont know better.

When I wrote about TP copper or yellow brass I received over 57 E mails asking “What dat”

For example Eutectic in Long Island City makes custom welding rods for almost any application the same with Nassau Research corporation as I used them a few times for getting special aluminum rods that can weld using a Turbo torch.

The rod is not the key, it is the preheating and cooling down of the cast iron that makes it difficult for the average non mechanic to comprehend.

The preparation like drilling the crack so it cant spread or grinding a slightly “V” so it gives a better joint bed for several passes for better root penetration.

Hey some moron on this list went to a home center to ask the stock boy about “PLUMMMMIN” in his run down abode.

Could you imagine someone saying “Sure my man go out get propoxy and dont worry about a thing as you cant see it from my house”

Giving advice on here I try to be slightly on the technical side as to let folks know plumbing/gas fitting and ever drain cleaning can be very unforgiving if not performed by a professional.

This one low life went to a home center picked the stock boys mind THEN came on here seeking “professional” advice.

Sight unseen to go back to the store clerk so he can play big shot.

I told Lorenzo many times that we should be very careful on the advice we do give on here as telling someone to solder a joint sounds easy BUT what do we tell them about the dangers of using flux?

Have a great one and again GREAT minds do think alike LOL.. Sylvan

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This