Hot Water Heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot Water Heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

How do I replace the dip tube in a Sears residential, natural gas, hot water heater?

Participant

Carefully remove the galvanized nipple on the cold water inlet of the tank, and screw in the new galvanized nipple with new dip tube attached. If you cant get the old nipple out simply flare a peice of 1/2 copper on one end, and cut it so that it reaches to within six inches of the bottom of the tank, drill a 1/8 hole within six inches of the flared end, and slide it into the existing galvanized nipple, making sure that the flare is large enough to prevent tube from falling into tank…….Lou

Participant

: Carefully remove the galvanized nipple on the cold water inlet of the tank, and screw in the new galvanized nipple with new dip tube attached. If you cant get the old nipple out simply flare a peice of 1/2 copper on one end, and cut it so that it reaches to within six inches of the bottom of the tank, drill a 1/8 hole within six inches of the flared end, and slide it into the existing galvanized nipple, making sure that the flare is large enough to prevent tube from falling into tank…….Lou Thanks Lou, but when I removed the galvanized nipple, there was nothing attached to it. Instead, I there was a plastic grommet beneath this fitting, and when removed, I could visually see a plastic dip tube within this opening, but cant remove it. It does not appear that the tube was attached to the galvanized nipple. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Participant

Have you tried jamming a chisel into the plastic and unscrewing it from the tank. Or you may have to drill or cut out the old one……Lou

Participant

: Have you tried jamming a chisel into the plastic and unscrewing it from the tank. Or you may have to drill or cut out the old one……LouNo I hadnt. I was a little leary of losing the tube inside the tank. This probably looks like the only alternative. Thanks, Lou, I appreciate your advice as well as assistance.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This