Hot Water Piping

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot Water Piping

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Is there a building code restriction on use of regular schedule 40 PVC pipe for water at temperatures of roughly 180-190F? I have an application for nonpressurized sewer drain lines for commercial high-temp dishwashers in a public eating facility. A contractor has proposed to use ordinary Sched 40 PVC for this. The pipes are to be below a concrete floor in compacted soil, and I am concerned that if I approve this pipe I will be tearing up the floor in a few years to replace it. Im guessing that several hot/cold cycles a day will weaken or otherwise degrade the pipe in time. The longest pipe run will be on the order of 30 feet and I suppose that thermal expansion may be an issue as well. Is this situation covered in any building code? I should think that CPVC or some more hardy material would be a better choice, and am wondering whether any codes in fact require their use. Thank you for your help.

Participant

Pvc should be okay below grade, we use A.B.S. here, switching to copper three inches above the floor. The thin Dwv copper tempers the water before it gets to the plastic and we havent had to rip any floors……Lou

Participant

: Is there a building code restriction on use of regular schedule 40 PVC pipe for water at temperatures of roughly 180-190F? : : I have an application for nonpressurized sewer drain lines for commercial high-temp dishwashers in a public eating facility. A contractor has proposed to use ordinary Sched 40 PVC for this. The pipes are to be below a concrete floor in compacted soil, and I am concerned that if I approve this pipe I will be tearing up the floor in a few years to replace it. Im guessing that several hot/cold cycles a day will weaken or otherwise degrade the pipe in time. The longest pipe run will be on the order of 30 feet and I suppose that thermal expansion may be an issue as well. : : Is this situation covered in any building code? I should think that CPVC or some more hardy material would be a better choice, and am wondering whether any codes in fact require their use. : : Thank you for your help. : Here in New York State the code requires cast iron soil pipe below grade. It will last for 60 years, expansion is minimal, and you dont have to worry about the architectural contractor crushing it during back fill. For such a short run the extra cost is excellent insurance. If your local codes allow plastic pipe below grade CPVC would be a much better choice. For the record PVC should not be used above 140 degrees F for a gravity drain line. I am a licensed Professional Engineer and a fourth generation plumber. Wayne

Participant

: Is there a building code restriction on use of regular schedule 40 PVC pipe for water at temperatures of roughly 180-190F? : : I have an application for nonpressurized sewer drain lines for commercial high-temp dishwashers in a public eating facility. A contractor has proposed to use ordinary Sched 40 PVC for this. The pipes are to be below a concrete floor in compacted soil, and I am concerned that if I approve this pipe I will be tearing up the floor in a few years to replace it. Im guessing that several hot/cold cycles a day will weaken or otherwise degrade the pipe in time. The longest pipe run will be on the order of 30 feet and I suppose that thermal expansion may be an issue as well. : : Is this situation covered in any building code? I should think that CPVC or some more hardy material would be a better choice, and am wondering whether any codes in fact require their use. : : Thank you for your help. :I agree with Wayne.1998 Ohio Plumbing Code and 1995 Uniform Plumbing Code 804.2(4101:2-63-04)Waste water temperature……..nor shall any water above 140 degrees farenheit be discharged into any part of a drainage system…..Pvc will work underground as long as the discharge water is tempered to 140 or below before it goes into the underground….pipewerks (licensed plumbing contractor)

Participant

: Is there a building code restriction on use of regular schedule 40 PVC pipe for water at temperatures of roughly 180-190F? : : I have an application for nonpressurized sewer drain lines for commercial high-temp dishwashers in a public eating facility. A contractor has proposed to use ordinary Sched 40 PVC for this. The pipes are to be below a concrete floor in compacted soil, and I am concerned that if I approve this pipe I will be tearing up the floor in a few years to replace it. Im guessing that several hot/cold cycles a day will weaken or otherwise degrade the pipe in time. The longest pipe run will be on the order of 30 feet and I suppose that thermal expansion may be an issue as well. : : Is this situation covered in any building code? I should think that CPVC or some more hardy material would be a better choice, and am wondering whether any codes in fact require their use. : : Thank you for your help. :For a commercial dishwasher, use a polypropylene trap, then HDPE pipe back to the main drain ( or copper, but its expensive). DONT use standard pvc pipe it will buckle up and crumble.DISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane AustraliaDISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This