Hot Water Heater Periodic Leaking

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot Water Heater Periodic Leaking

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Reliance hot water heater. On an occasional basis I find a a fair amount of water around it. I cant determine where it is coming from however It seems as if it woul be the pressure relieve valve dumping water as I see no other constant leaking. Would the pressure relieve valve be dumping water on a periodic basis and for what reason? Or should I look for the mysterious water some place else.Bret

Participant

Bret:–The water is no doubt coming from the pressure relief valve. The reason is because of the thermal expansion of the water once it enters the tank. There is no doubt either, that there is a back flow prevention device(BFPD)in your water line(probably at your water meter) This device allows water to enter your water service line but not back out when the thermal expansion takes place. Water cannot be compressed, and so it discharges the expanded amount onto your floor. Solution is to install a Thermal expansion tank or run the discharge from the T&P valve to a place where it wont be a problem…..BudI have a Reliance hot water heater. On an occasional basis I find a : a fair amount of water around it. I cant determine where it is coming from however : It seems as if it woul be the pressure relieve valve dumping water as I see no : other constant leaking. Would the pressure relieve valve be dumping water on a periodic basis and for : what reason? Or should I look for the mysterious water some place else.: Bret

Participant

Bret:–The water is no doubt coming from the pressure relief valve. The reason is because of the thermal expansion of the water once it enters the tank. There is no doubt either, that there is a back flow prevention device(BFPD)in your water line(probably at your water meter) This device allows water to enter your water service line but not back out when the thermal expansion takes place. Water cannot be compressed, and so it discharges the expanded amount onto your floor. Solution is to install a Thermal expansion tank or run the discharge from the T&P valve to a place where it wont be a problem…..BudI have a Reliance hot water heater. On an occasional basis I find a : a fair amount of water around it. I cant determine where it is coming from however : It seems as if it woul be the pressure relieve valve dumping water as I see no : other constant leaking. Would the pressure relieve valve be dumping water on a periodic basis and for : what reason? Or should I look for the mysterious water some place else.: Bret

Participant

Participant

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This