copper to galvanized

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing copper to galvanized

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #273866

      I’m replacing a water heater. What is best treatment for galvanized to copper connection, teflon or pipe dope? What is a “dialiectric union” and is it necessary?

    • #288726

      Use a dielectric union and a relative short brass nipple. The nipples go from the new water heater to the brass side of the unions. The steel side of the union obviously goes to the galvanized pipe. This little gizmo stops galvanic corrosion from joining 2 dis-similar metals.

      I use a little pipe dope but I have used teflon tape. Whatever you like best to make a water tight seal.

      now for the interesting part of this answer…

      There are some areas of where I live, Midwest USA, that require water heaters to be installed by only licensed plumbers. Please keep this in mind if you are using gas as the heat source.

      have fun…

    • #288727

      YES they are necessary BUT if you cant get a domestic union and only imported garbage you may want to consider a dielectric nipples,
      as these have no washers or gaskets to fail.

      CHECK LOCAL codes and only consider a licensed Master plumber and ask to see the license.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This