Plumbing noise-clicking in pipe up in ceiling.

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Plumbing noise-clicking in pipe up in ceiling.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I live in a condominium complex. In December 1998, the hot water heater went out in my building. 2 days before it went out, I started hearing a loud clicking noise in my ceiling when the neighbor ran the water in her unit. The heater was replaced. I mentioned the noise to the repair man, he said he thought it was just the pipe expanding and contracting. (Noise went away after the replacement but has now returned-still when neighbors are running water at full blast for about 15 mins or morr in the shower). What might that noise be and should I be worried? I lived here 2 years and never heard it until December problem.

Participant

: I live in a condominium complex. In December 1998, the hot water heater went out in my building. 2 days before it went out, I started hearing a loud clicking noise in my ceiling when the neighbor ran the water in her unit. The heater was replaced. I mentioned the noise to the repair man, he said he thought it was just the pipe expanding and contracting. (Noise went away after the replacement but has now returned-still when neighbors are running water at full blast for about 15 mins or morr in the shower). What might that noise be and should I be worried? I lived here 2 years and never heard it until December problem. : It could be part of the dip tube from the old water heater or simply a piece of solder or such trapped in the line.If this problem concerns you I would remove a cartridge or stem from a tub or similar fixture for which the line you speak of serves, and try blowing that line out.Be carefull not to flood something though. Hope that helps.

Participant

: I live in a condominium complex. In December 1998, the hot water heater went out in my building. 2 days before it went out, I started hearing a loud clicking noise in my ceiling when the neighbor ran the water in her unit. The heater was replaced. I mentioned the noise to the repair man, he said he thought it was just the pipe expanding and contracting. (Noise went away after the replacement but has now returned-still when neighbors are running water at full blast for about 15 mins or morr in the shower). What might that noise be and should I be worried? I lived here 2 years and never heard it until December problem. : It could be part of the dip tube from the old water heater or simply a piece of solder or such trapped in the line.If this problem concerns you I would remove a cartridge or stem from a tub or similar fixture for which the line you speak of serves, and try blowing that line out.Be carefull not to flood something though. Hope that helps.

Participant

It could also be the hot pipe expanding through a clip. it grabs as it expands, lets go with a click, grabs and expands, lets go with a click. but this usually happens for a short time as the pipe heats upDISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

It could also be the hot pipe expanding through a clip. it grabs as it expands, lets go with a click, grabs and expands, lets go with a click. but this usually happens for a short time as the pipe heats upDISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

:bungie is right replacing water heater will not stop problem. The hot water pipe will start to make noise if it is not properly installed to allow for expansion. And contraction, when they cool you may still hear the creaking.Mark Tiernan Bros. Plbg. Gary In.

Participant

:bungie is right replacing water heater will not stop problem. The hot water pipe will start to make noise if it is not properly installed to allow for expansion. And contraction, when they cool you may still hear the creaking.Mark Tiernan Bros. Plbg. Gary In.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This