Convert steam radiators to hot water?

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Convert steam radiators to hot water?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to add some additional radiators to my hot water radiator system. Mainly in the basement and laundry room areas. I can get a good deal on some steam radiators that are in good condition. What do I need to do too them in order to convert them to hot water radiators. They appear to be 2 column 9 or 10 sections and some smaller ones 4 or 5 sections. They also are the old style with the 2 1/2 approx. columns. I only see an inlet valve on one end with what appears to be a bleeder of the other end. Does this mean that I will have to take 2 radiators to make one in order to have 2 end sections that can be made an inlet and an outlet?? Any help will be appreciated.

Participant

It is probably not worth the time and effort. Hot water has a lower thermal capacity than steam, and I do not think you will get the desired heat from the thick column radiators. Also, the vent opening is too low on the last section to permit proper venting. And if you put two together, you might not have any vent openig.: I would like to add some additional radiators to my hot water radiator system. Mainly in the basement and laundry room areas. I can get a good deal on some steam radiators that are in good condition. What do I need to do too them in order to convert them to hot water radiators. They appear to be 2 column 9 or 10 sections and some smaller ones 4 or 5 sections. They also are the old style with the 2 1/2 approx. columns. I only see an inlet valve on one end with what appears to be a bleeder of the other end. Does this mean that I will have to take 2 radiators to make one in order to have 2 end sections that can be made an inlet and an outlet?? Any help will be appreciated.

Participant

It is probably not worth the time and effort. Hot water has a lower thermal capacity than steam, and I do not think you will get the desired heat from the thick column radiators. Also, the vent opening is too low on the last section to permit proper venting. And if you put two together, you might not have any vent openig.: I would like to add some additional radiators to my hot water radiator system. Mainly in the basement and laundry room areas. I can get a good deal on some steam radiators that are in good condition. What do I need to do too them in order to convert them to hot water radiators. They appear to be 2 column 9 or 10 sections and some smaller ones 4 or 5 sections. They also are the old style with the 2 1/2 approx. columns. I only see an inlet valve on one end with what appears to be a bleeder of the other end. Does this mean that I will have to take 2 radiators to make one in order to have 2 end sections that can be made an inlet and an outlet?? Any help will be appreciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This