Knocking Water Pipe in Shower

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Knocking Water Pipe in Shower

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

When the shower is turned on (hot or cold), the pipes knock (loudly) twelve to fourteen times– then it stops after the water has been running awhile. It is PVC pipes. My plumber claims that the pipes are hitting something and the contractor has to fix it. My contractor stated that it is just natural for new plastic PVC pipes to make noises and that it is just contraction of the pipes. The knocking is obviously coming from the pipes in the wall which are accessible from the other side of the shower. Any suggestions– who is right.

Participant

: When the shower is turned on (hot or cold), the pipes knock (loudly) twelve to fourteen times– then it stops after the water has been running awhile. It is PVC pipes. My plumber claims that the pipes are hitting something and the contractor has to fix it. My contractor stated that it is just natural for new plastic PVC pipes to make noises and that it is just contraction of the pipes. The knocking is obviously coming from the pipes in the wall which are accessible from the other side of the shower. Any suggestions– who is right. :When installed the water lines should be secure to prevent knocking or rubbing which is usually the plumbers responsability.If your faucet is a coventional washer type faucet rather then washerless, I have seen a loose washer cause that type of problem.Hope that helps.

Participant

: When the shower is turned on (hot or cold), the pipes knock (loudly) twelve to fourteen times– then it stops after the water has been running awhile. It is PVC pipes. My plumber claims that the pipes are hitting something and the contractor has to fix it. My contractor stated that it is just natural for new plastic PVC pipes to make noises and that it is just contraction of the pipes. The knocking is obviously coming from the pipes in the wall which are accessible from the other side of the shower. Any suggestions– who is right. :When installed the water lines should be secure to prevent knocking or rubbing which is usually the plumbers responsability.If your faucet is a coventional washer type faucet rather then washerless, I have seen a loose washer cause that type of problem.Hope that helps.

Participant

: : When the shower is turned on (hot or cold), the pipes knock (loudly) twelve to fourteen times– then it stops after the water has been running awhile. It is PVC pipes. My plumber claims that the pipes are hitting something and the contractor has to fix it. My contractor stated that it is just natural for new plastic PVC pipes to make noises and that it is just contraction of the pipes. The knocking is obviously coming from the pipes in the wall which are accessible from the other side of the shower. Any suggestions– who is right. : :When installed the water lines should be secure to prevent knocking or rubbing which is usually the plumbers responsability.If your faucet is a coventional washer type faucet rather then washerless, I have seen a loose washer cause that type of problem.Hope that helps.new plumbing shouldnt rattle or knock regardless of type of pipe or cause! contractor or installer should remedy problem.

Participant

: : When the shower is turned on (hot or cold), the pipes knock (loudly) twelve to fourteen times– then it stops after the water has been running awhile. It is PVC pipes. My plumber claims that the pipes are hitting something and the contractor has to fix it. My contractor stated that it is just natural for new plastic PVC pipes to make noises and that it is just contraction of the pipes. The knocking is obviously coming from the pipes in the wall which are accessible from the other side of the shower. Any suggestions– who is right. : :When installed the water lines should be secure to prevent knocking or rubbing which is usually the plumbers responsability.If your faucet is a coventional washer type faucet rather then washerless, I have seen a loose washer cause that type of problem.Hope that helps.new plumbing shouldnt rattle or knock regardless of type of pipe or cause! contractor or installer should remedy problem.

Participant

When upstairs shower is turned off, we get a pretty loud knock in the walls. Doesnt happen w/downstairs water (which is on different water heater). Is this air in pipes?

Participant

When upstairs shower is turned off, we get a pretty loud knock in the walls. Doesnt happen w/downstairs water (which is on different water heater). Is this air in pipes?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This