Hot water from cold taps

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot water from cold taps

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Yesterday hot water was coming from both our hot and cold water taps in the upstairs bathroom and downstairs. The water from the both taps was extremely hot. We called a plumber out today and he has replaced the thermostat in the electric water heater and this seems to have solved the problem.However I cannot understand how we had hot water running from the cold taps. I thought that the cold water ran on a different system from the hot water as this would come directly from the cold water tank in our loft. We do not have any central heating in the house.I would be grateful for any information ! Thanks.

Participant

: Yesterday hot water was coming from both our hot and cold water taps in the upstairs bathroom and downstairs. The water from the both taps was extremely hot. We called a plumber out today and he has replaced the thermostat in the electric water heater and this seems to have solved the problem.: However I cannot understand how we had hot water running from the cold taps. I thought that the cold water ran on a different system from the hot water as this would come directly from the cold water tank in our loft. We do not have any central heating in the house.: I would be grateful for any information ! Thanks.Apparently you were near a dangerous situation. The water in heater was beginning to boil and the steam pressure in tank was pushing hot water back through cold lines. I have seen this happen more than once. MAKE SURE your pressure relief valve on heater is working!

Participant

: Yesterday hot water was coming from both our hot and cold water taps in the upstairs bathroom and downstairs. The water from the both taps was extremely hot. We called a plumber out today and he has replaced the thermostat in the electric water heater and this seems to have solved the problem.: However I cannot understand how we had hot water running from the cold taps. I thought that the cold water ran on a different system from the hot water as this would come directly from the cold water tank in our loft. We do not have any central heating in the house.: I would be grateful for any information ! Thanks.you are on a low pressure system. you just have to work out why the hot water went back up into the storage tank. when the hotwater heats up it should drip from a pipe up high somewhere, in australia a low pressure system discharges in the gutters of the house. yours may discharge back into the cold water tank. with your hotwater system boiling, it would put a lot of hot water back into the cold tank, hence only hot water and no cold.DISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This