hot water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives hot water heater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 50 gal A.O. Smith gas hot water heater. I have the thermostat set in the middle. The water gets so hot it forces water out the pressure relief valve and out the top of the heater. the plastic casing around the pipes are melted. I dont understand what is happening because the water out of the tap is not extremley hot. The water forced out is substancial, several gallons. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Participant

: I have a 50 gal A.O. Smith gas hot water heater. I have the thermostat set in the middle. The water gets so hot it forces water out the pressure relief valve and out the top of the heater. the plastic casing around the pipes are melted. I dont understand what is happening because the water out of the tap is not extremley hot. The water forced out is substancial, several gallons. Any help would be appreciated!!!!When a hotwater system heats up, it discharges a small amount of water from the temprature and pressure release valve……3% -7% of the volume this could be up to 3.5 gallons on a 50 gallon job. If the valve stops flowing after the unit finishes heating its ok, if not get a plumber to check it out.DISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

The pop off valve on top of the unit should never discharge water. If it does, something is wrong. My guess is that you need to replace the controller. : : I have a 50 gal A.O. Smith gas hot water heater. I have the thermostat set in the middle. The water gets so hot it forces water out the pressure relief valve and out the top of the heater. the plastic casing around the pipes are melted. I dont understand what is happening because the water out of the tap is not extremley hot. The water forced out is substancial, several gallons. Any help would be appreciated!!!!: When a hotwater system heats up, it discharges a small amount of water from the temprature and pressure release valve……3% -7% of the volume this could be up to 3.5 gallons on a 50 gallon job. If the valve stops flowing after the unit finishes heating its ok, if not get a plumber to check it out.: DISCLAIMER: All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

: The pop off valve on top of the unit should never discharge water. If it does, something is wrong. My guess is that you need to replace the controller. : : I have a 50 gal A.O. Smith gas hot water heater. I have the thermostat set in the middle. The water gets so hot it forces water out the pressure relief valve and out the top of the heater. the plastic casing around the pipes are melted. I dont understand what is happening because the water out of the tap is not extremley hot. The water forced out is substancial, several gallons. Any help would be appreciated!!!! As stated by another person, you should have no discharge from you HWH. First, do you have more than one thermostat? Two covers? Two thermostats. If there is a bottom it may be too high. Use a voltage tester and adjust the thermostat and see if it ever turns off. If not buy a new one. If it does, try adjusting to lower temp. As for why it isnt hot at the tap, how long did you let it run? Is it a new faucet and have a scald control? Doesnt seem like you should be able to have hot HWH and not hot water.: : When a hotwater system heats up, it discharges a small amount of water from the temprature and pressure release valve……3% -7% of the volume this could be up to 3.5 gallons on a 50 gallon job. If the valve stops flowing after the unit finishes heating its ok, if not get a plumber to check it out.: : DISCLAIMER: : All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This