Polybutelene Plumbing in Mobile Home

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Polybutelene Plumbing in Mobile Home

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have PB in my Marlette Mobile home that was manufactured in Sept. 1983. The house was installed on site in 1984, and lived in for 2 years by the previous owner. It then stood empty for 2 years when I purchased it 19 Oct. 1988. During this time, a break in the plumbing occurred and was fixed by the realtor, with nothing being done about a claim. (Maybe then they didnt know about the faults of PB). We lived here for about 6-1/2 years when we realized that the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors were becoming increasingly soft and springy. All three rooms had to be completely gutted and replaced due to the leak and the improber way in which it had been repaired. Insurance would not pay because they did not insure the home at the time of original damage. I did file papers against PB. In 1997, after approximately one year of a very slow, very high temp. water leak, both bathrooms and the 2nd bedroom floors began to crumble and collaps. Again a problem with the pipes. Again I filed papers with PB. Now here it is 1999 and I am in the process of again having to replace floors and vinyl due to a leak. This time when I called the PB hotline, I was told my house didnt qualify because it was installed prior to 10 years before my first claim in 1995. DO I OR DO I NOT HAVE ANY GROUND TO STAND ON IN GETTING PLUMBING REPLACED OR SOME HELP IN GETTING IT DONE??? PLEASE ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, OR GIVE ME AN ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER OF SOMEONE I CAN CALL.Thank you in advance for reading all of this and any help you can give me. I am at my wits end.

Participant

: I have PB in my Marlette Mobile home that was manufactured in Sept. 1983. The house was installed on site in 1984, and lived in for 2 years by the previous owner. It then stood empty for 2 years when I purchased it 19 Oct. 1988. During this time, a break in the plumbing occurred and was fixed by the realtor, with nothing being done about a claim. (Maybe then they didnt know about the faults of PB). We lived here for about 6-1/2 years when we realized that the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors were becoming increasingly soft and springy. All three rooms had to be completely gutted and replaced due to the leak and the improber way in which it had been repaired. Insurance would not pay because they did not insure the home at the time of original damage. I did file papers against PB. In 1997, after approximately one year of a very slow, very high temp. water leak, both bathrooms and the 2nd bedroom floors began to crumble and collaps. Again a problem with the pipes. Again I filed papers with PB. Now here it is 1999 and I am in the process of again having to replace floors and vinyl due to a leak. This time when I called the PB hotline, I was told my house didnt qualify because it was installed prior to 10 years before my first claim in 1995. DO I OR DO I NOT HAVE ANY GROUND TO STAND ON IN GETTING PLUMBING REPLACED OR SOME HELP IN GETTING IT DONE??? PLEASE ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, OR GIVE ME AN ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER OF SOMEONE I CAN CALL.: Thank you in advance for reading all of this and any help you can give me. I am at my wits end.You seems to be having a problem that many are now expierencing. All information aside let me inform you of the settlements criteria. The settlement states that if you have a mobile home with plastic or metal fittings you must expierence a leak within 10 years of the PBs original installation and you must file your claim within 11 years of the same. Example: 1987 Mobile Home with PB. A leak must occur by the end of 1997 & the homeowner must file a claim by the end of 1998. If you feel that you are still not eligible for the Cox vs. Shell Oil settlement then you should have a look at two different sites. 1. http://www.spencerclass.com – This site has information regarding an additional settlement set up through DuPont that gives owners the chance to qualify for 10% reimbursement of the plumbing replacement cost & 10% reimbursement of any damages casued by past leaks. 2. http://www.plumbing911.com – By far the most informative site on the net pertaining to polybutylene and the nightmares that come along with it. You should speak to Dan Johnston at http://www.plumbing911.com and he will be able to step you through the spencer class proceedings or answer any other questions you may have about poly. I also will be standing by if you or any other homeowners have questions. You can email me at http://[email protected]. I hope this information has helped and look forward to helping you in the future.

Participant

: I have PB in my Marlette Mobile home that was manufactured in Sept. 1983. The house was installed on site in 1984, and lived in for 2 years by the previous owner. It then stood empty for 2 years when I purchased it 19 Oct. 1988. During this time, a break in the plumbing occurred and was fixed by the realtor, with nothing being done about a claim. (Maybe then they didnt know about the faults of PB). We lived here for about 6-1/2 years when we realized that the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors were becoming increasingly soft and springy. All three rooms had to be completely gutted and replaced due to the leak and the improber way in which it had been repaired. Insurance would not pay because they did not insure the home at the time of original damage. I did file papers against PB. In 1997, after approximately one year of a very slow, very high temp. water leak, both bathrooms and the 2nd bedroom floors began to crumble and collaps. Again a problem with the pipes. Again I filed papers with PB. Now here it is 1999 and I am in the process of again having to replace floors and vinyl due to a leak. This time when I called the PB hotline, I was told my house didnt qualify because it was installed prior to 10 years before my first claim in 1995. DO I OR DO I NOT HAVE ANY GROUND TO STAND ON IN GETTING PLUMBING REPLACED OR SOME HELP IN GETTING IT DONE??? PLEASE ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, OR GIVE ME AN ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER OF SOMEONE I CAN CALL.: Thank you in advance for reading all of this and any help you can give me. I am at my wits end.If you just want to give me a ring you can do so as well. 800-333-3689

Participant

Please forward me a number regarding the class action suit. Sincerely, April : I have PB in my Marlette Mobile home that was manufactured in Sept. 1983. The house was installed on site in 1984, and lived in for 2 years by the previous owner. It then stood empty for 2 years when I purchased it 19 Oct. 1988. During this time, a break in the plumbing occurred and was fixed by the realtor, with nothing being done about a claim. (Maybe then they didnt know about the faults of PB). We lived here for about 6-1/2 years when we realized that the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors were becoming increasingly soft and springy. All three rooms had to be completely gutted and replaced due to the leak and the improber way in which it had been repaired. Insurance would not pay because they did not insure the home at the time of original damage. I did file papers against PB. In 1997, after approximately one year of a very slow, very high temp. water leak, both bathrooms and the 2nd bedroom floors began to crumble and collaps. Again a problem with the pipes. Again I filed papers with PB. Now here it is 1999 and I am in the process of again having to replace floors and vinyl due to a leak. This time when I called the PB hotline, I was told my house didnt qualify because it was installed prior to 10 years before my first claim in 1995. DO I OR DO I NOT HAVE ANY GROUND TO STAND ON IN GETTING PLUMBING REPLACED OR SOME HELP IN GETTING IT DONE??? PLEASE ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, OR GIVE ME AN ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER OF SOMEONE I CAN CALL.: Thank you in advance for reading all of this and any help you can give me. I am at my wits end.

Participant

I bought my 1982 Golden West Mobile Home in 1990. Right away I experienced leaks in the bathroom. The floor fell apart in the bathroom, and water heater room. I have had pure trouble with the plumbing since moving in in 1990. I did not know what polybutylene was then. I am disabled, living on social security, and have been fortunate that neighbors have taken pity on me. They cobbled together a makeshift floor in the bathroom, and are in the midst of putting a mickey mouse repair on the water heater room. Thanks for Christian Charity. When they were doing plumbing replacements up the hill from me, my well to do neighbors did not inform me or my other neighbors down here. We are mostly disabled and poor. All of our homes are mobile homes of the same time period. I cannot believe that they turned me down, saying that I only had sixteen years to file. How was I to know that I had pipes that fit the category that were covered? I was ignorant, but my neighbors and I are the poor who really need the help replacing our plumbing. Our rich neighbors now have new plumbing, and once again those on Social Security get the big zero. Help! Dave Gebhard 205 Walnut Drive Lakeport, Ca. 95453 (707)263-3875

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This