Sylvan and/or Fourth Year

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Sylvan and/or Fourth Year

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Sylvan and/or Fourth year:
        I went and got a cap, actually, it is a fitting that fits over 1 1/2″ copper pipe on one end, and on the other end, it has female threads. I tried it at the store, and it fit perfectly over 1 1/2″ copper pipe. Since they didn’t have a male threaded copper cap, I bought one in PVC. HOWEVER, after cleaning the copper pipe, and trying the fitting, I find that both are approximately the same diameter, and the fitting therefore won’t go over this “pipe”. Tell me, is this 6″ copper piece on the old drain a piece of pipe, or is it part of that hex fitting that screws into the ell bow? If it is part of the fitting, do they make a cap that will work with this, and what is it called? I have thought about using a short piece of 1 1/2″ copper between the two, but I don’t have any here, and since they are close to the same size, but not exactly, I’m not sure if that will work. The reason I am going this route rather than the one you described, is the fact that working room is very limited, and if I start to cut the inside of the nipple, there is no turning back. Any suggestions?

Participant

It is the wiping ferrule and its size has no relationahip to any other plumbing pipe sizes. The only thing to do is cut it off at the hex as I mentioned previously and then cut the brass piece out. It sounds harder that it really is.

Participant

I sent you a private E mail I hope that helps

Participant

What?? no bitting insults between you two guys?? Do my eyes deceive me or is this just a dream?? Way to go guys. Good to see.

Participant

Thanks, Sylvan, for all of your help. I ended up buying the 1 1/2″ Fernco rubber cap, at it does the job. I know this is not really the correct way to do it, but it works. Thanks again.

quote:

Originally posted by SylvanLMP:
                I sent you a private E mail I hope that helps

Participant

Fourth Year:
                  Thanks for all of your help here. I know your way is the correct way to do it, but I caved in and got the 1 1/2″ Fernco cap. Sorry, but it did the job! Thanks again for all of your help with this problem.
                  Jeff Mattero

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                  It is the wiping ferrule and its size has no relationahip to any other plumbing pipe sizes. The only thing to do is cut it off at the hex as I mentioned previously and then cut the brass piece out. It sounds harder that it really is.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This