Gas hot water heater leaking

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Gas hot water heater leaking

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We have a gas hot water heater that is about 8 years old. We have had no problems with it. Yesterday, a home inspector inspecting our home for resale flipped the pressure relief value switch and now there is water dripping continuously from the pipe extending out of the tank to the floor. Any suggestions about stopping this water flow. It is a fairly fast drip that our sump pump can handle. The water is running out hot. We have had no drop in hot water for the house.

Participant

The inspector tested your relief valve to see if it was so clogged that it would not open if you had an unsafe high pressure or temperature. After not doing this regularly after so many years, dirt built up inside and is probably lodged under the valve seat permitting water to flow.

Replacing the safety relief valve with the same pressure and temperature that is on the valve tag is long overdue. It is not difficult to change the valve, it is the knowledge needed to do it safely and properly that the plumber is licensed to perform.

Participant

EB there are some dirty tricks that old boiler inspectors did to stop a “relief” valve from discharging after a test.

But considering how unscrupulous it is I would only suggest you do the following

Go back to your heater and try the test lever again to see if it seats properly a few pulls STAND aside from the scalding hot water.

Then in the morning call a Licensed Master plumber to not only relplace the T&P but flush out the bottom of the tank and check the flue for proper updraft.

It sounds like your hot water tank was installed and forgotten about like most stumble bums would do with total disregard to ASME/NBBI testing guide lines.
            You got to love home centers selling this stuff with no one explaining how to properly check these potential bombs.

Participant

By the way Since the “home inspector” caused this to leak as it wasn’t leaking before the HE touched it ask to see his/her certificate of insurance in case of any water damages.

I have managed to recoup lots of money for folks who went by a “home inspectors” say so when they bought a defective home
              Call a Licensed Master Plumber and send a copy of the bill to your friendly home inspector for his payment.

Participant

S:
                You use of the term Stumble bum to describe almost anyone who is not you reminds of the story about the father who took his son for a Sunday drive. When they go back his mother asked the boy if he has seen anyone. The kid asked, ” Should I leave out all the SOB’s, AH’s, and MF’s?” The mother, shocked, replied, “Of course.” The boy then said, “In that case we didn’t see anybody.”

Participant

This message is to Fourth Year. Remind all us decent citizens to not tread through your mind. The attacks from you sir are so very uncalled for. You in one breath quickly judge others while you throw two stones to their one. Your lack of respect for this list is obvious. The person asked a question of plumbing and you did not even attempt an answer. Your response was only to jump in on Sylvan’s advice and pick up one word to touch up to create a subject to make a Jack Ass of yourself. Stumble Bum is simply another term for inadequate BBC doing things they aren’t qualified to do. In my humble opinion, you are way out of line.
                  Harold and Sylvan have contributed to this list greatly. If Sylvan’s NYC personality comes out, it’s refreshing to most of us. The world is full of UPTIGHT people with no sense of humor.
                  The advice that was given to this person regarding his water heater was accurate by Sylvan and Harold. Where was your professional reply.
                  Let me ask you a personal question, Fourth year, How many jobs have you had in your four years. You remain nameless and that alone tells us a great deal.
                  I hope you’re here to learn for your contributions sure haven’t taught anyone anything. Listen and Learn. You may pick up some real plumbing techniques and above that, you may pick up some people skills. One isn’t much good without the other. Peace be with you, son.
                  POPS

Participant

Pops?

When an inspector performs a reasonable test of a relief valve, something the homeowner should do periodically himself, and it turns out that the valve was at the end of its life, why should he or his insurance company be liable. Our plumbing association advises us to test the relief valves on the heaters at the places we do service just to locate and replace faulty T&P valves. If we do that, does that mean we should replace them free? According to Sylvan’s GOOD advice the answer would be yes. I am nameless, since I do not have a Narcistic complex, to see my name everywhere. My replies are to the point and I only attack when provoked.

Participant

The homeowner, or his agent, should test a relief valve at least as often as the manufacturer and code recommends. The agent should ask the homeowner for permission to test the relief valve, tell the homeowner why he is testing the valve and give a recommendation to call a repair service if it does leak. The agent in this case did none of these basic courtesies, so the owner wrote a question here.

The proper procedure is a matter of public safety. It is unknown if the inspector had sufficient training to know what he was doing, the safety implications of opening the valve and allowing it to leak without repair. If he did, he was at least discourteous in not informing the homeowner of the danger, and I feel he was malfeasant in performing the act without safety instruction to the homeowner.

The inspector didn’t have to tell the homeowner how to replace it. The inspector may be creating a dangerous situation by encouraging the homeowner to do it himself. As simple and easy as the task appears, there are some real dangers to an inexperienced amateur.

A plumber is licensed to perform service that is potentially dangerous. The purpose of the apprenticeship is to keep the new tradesman in contact with experienced tradesmen for enough time to develop a respect for the safe practices documented in the codes and manufacturer’s instructions. An apprenticeship is a rare opportunity that few experience. The attitude of care for the customer is the basis of good business.

Participant

Harold and Pops a helper/Apprentice/STUMBLE BUM UNLICENSED “plumber” are of the same mentality.

An APPRENTICE is a helper and NO WAY a Qualified journeyman. Reading this helpers remarks about the home owner testing the T&P shows his apprentice training is wasted on him.

ONLY an IDIOT or a BILLY BUTT CRACK would assume the home owner was CAPABLE of testing this device.

Some home owners are disabled and cant climb down a basement stairs. Some home owners KNOW better to “test a device Unless they have a replacement near by”

The Lack of common decency and skills in a “helpers” mind is amazing.

The school explosion in Oklahoma was caused by the SAME mentality or lack of like a STUMBLE bums dabbling in plumbing.

Suppose a home owner was STUPID enough to allow an unlicensed GUY like KNOW NOTHING HELPER/Apprentice into their home to “test” the T&P and it starts to leak WHAT does this brain dead helper do now?

Leave it leaking?

Run to Home depot to get another one?

Do nothing let it leak?

Tell the home owner OOPS ILL Be Back?

Shut off the gas water and GO AWAY?

Only helpers or unknowing idiot would “test” something and NOT be prepared to replace it if it Failed.

This is why an apprenticeship SHOULD be made into a 10 YEAR program as more non skilled people it seems are seeping through the cracks, being push out into the field with no reason powers what so ever .

TESTING and common sense should be a priority of being allowed into a training program.

I personally would fire the apprentice and THEN bring him before the plumbing industry board for removal for putting life and property at risk BUT hey I also don’t hire STUMBLE BUMS to go out and test devices they have no knowledge of

Pops, Thankfuly you did retire so you dont have to deal weith nit wits pulling levers that they have no clue to what to do after they pull it.

A little bit of training is a VERY SCARY thing to turn lose on the unsuspecting public.

Participant

You both are idiots. According to you, the owner should either assume the T&P valve is fumctioning safely or call Sylvan at about $135.00 to come and flip the lever and see if it will reseat. Our plumbing code requires that the T&P valve discharge be piped to a location that will not allow damage to the property. And all. If you look at the tag attched to AKK T&P valves, it says, “Folowing the installation, the valve lever MUST be operated AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR by the water heater owner to ensure that the waterways are clear.(capitals are on the tag). So unless Sylvan owns all the water heaters he is checking, the home owner is capable of flipping the lever and then calling a plumber if it needs service.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This