Washing Machine Drain

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Washing Machine Drain

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

We would like to install a new washer in our basement. Because the location is below the homes sewer lines, the previous owners ran a hose directly overhead (and over a few feet) into a main pipe. I gather this raises a couple of issues: (1) can the washing machine pump uphill effectively and (2) potential problems with a direct line into the sewer system. The Kenmore manual claims that a standpipe or laundry tub can be as high as 96 inches above the bottom of the washer, so the height issue may not be a problem. That still leaves me wondering whether there is a better system than the direct line into the pipe. We have a sump pump and a large sink just above it, but it is several feet from the washer with a basement entrance door in between the washer and the pump. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Participant

If you instal a P-trap in the connection to the main drain and then hang the washer hose into it, then there is no problem other than the one of overflow if the main drain becomes obstructed and the sewage backs out of the drain pipe. But if the washer were directly connected the overflow would still occur, it would just enter the washing machine.: We would like to install a new washer in our basement. Because the location is below the homes sewer lines, the previous owners ran a hose directly overhead (and over a few feet) into a main pipe. I gather this raises a couple of issues: (1) can the washing machine pump uphill effectively and (2) potential problems with a direct line into the sewer system. The Kenmore manual claims that a standpipe or laundry tub can be as high as 96 inches above the bottom of the washer, so the height issue may not be a problem. That still leaves me wondering whether there is a better system than the direct line into the pipe. We have a sump pump and a large sink just above it, but it is several feet from the washer with a basement entrance door in between the washer and the pump. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This