Copper Pipe Failure

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Copper Pipe Failure

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jmcgilliard

My House is plumbed with copper tubing below slab and is six years old. Water hardness is 16. PH is 7.6 and Fe less than 0.1 I use a SEARS water softner. In the past six months I have had two pin hole leaks in the copper tubing above ground. Any ideas?

Pete

anybody heard of rats eating copper pipe…. I am a builder who uses plastic ( butyl( pipe and rats ate it… the customer now wants to sue since he says I should have used copper pipe… I dont see any advantage to the copper pipe aas our adjoining county has outlawed copperPLEEZE respond…. thaNKS

Pete

: My House is plumbed with copper tubing below slab and is six years old. Water hardness is 16. PH is 7.6 and Fe less than 0.1 I use a SEARS water softner. In the past six months I have had two pin hole leaks in the copper tubing above ground. Any ideas?is the ph still 7.6 after treatment, if lower that could cause problem. are you getting any blue/green stains which would indicate to much acid. are these pin holes developing from the inside of pipe or from surface into pipe. being a slab situation you may want to get some professional hands on help. i have seen houses that had to be repiped because water conditions were not balanced.

Pete

Pete:-Pin hole leaks in copper water lines can be controlled by installing a Sacrificial Anode in the piping system. It is far easier, and much more effective to enable the piping to deal with the water quality, than to try to change the qualities of the water in the hope of sparing the piping. At 7.6, your pH is a tad on the Alkaline side and should be easily remedied by the inclusion of one of these easily installed units. Happy New Year……..Bud.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This