vent/how it works

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives vent/how it works

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

what will happen if I plug the vent ? If I were to plug it, should I use something that would stop the air from going in? It may insane , doing it to my own house but , there is one good reason : a Tenant whos not paying and creating too much problem downstairs. please reply, I need your advice on the vent system. thank you. nyu

Participant

There is a 50/50 chance that plugging the vent would not make any difference. It depends on the overall layout of the system. And if it did create a problem, it would not necessarily be limited to the one sink.: what will happen if I plug the vent ? If I were to plug it, should I use something that would stop the air from going in? It may insane , doing it to my own house but , there is one good reason : a Tenant whos not paying and creating too much problem downstairs. please reply, I need your advice on the vent system. thank you. nyu

Participant

Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. Terry: There is a 50/50 chance that plugging the vent would not make any difference. It depends on the overall layout of the system. And if it did create a problem, it would not necessarily be limited to the one sink. hj

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This