Drain Venting

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Drain Venting

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I would like to know if there is a way to vent drains without extending the vent clear through the roof and outside. I am homeowner of a 40 year old house and a plumber told me the drains were not vented properly, thus creating a vacume and noise when the drains our used. Is there such a thing as an air gap vent that may be installed indoors without exterior venting? If so how well do they work?

Participant

There are devices called air admittance valves, that are installed inside the residence. They let air in to avoid siphnage, but do not let the odors escape. As long as the sewer is functioning properly, they work as good as a vent thru the roof. If it starts to back up, they will lock up the plumbing system, since the trapped air will not be able to escape and allow drainage. The bigger problem would be if the existng system is designed for S traps and does not have provision for any venting.: I would like to know if there is a way to vent drains without extending the vent clear through the roof and outside. I am homeowner of a 40 year old house and a plumber told me the drains were not vented properly, thus creating a vacume and noise when the drains our used. Is there such a thing as an air gap vent that may be installed indoors without exterior venting? If so how well do they work?

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This