leaking pressure relief valve on hot water tank

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives leaking pressure relief valve on hot water tank

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My 3 year old Mor-flo hot water tank began leaking from the pressure relief valve at the rate of about a gallon a day. I replaced the pressure relief valve twice and was told I needed a new water pressure regulator. I replaced the regulator and set the presssure at 50# with a gauge. The tank was still leaking. I was able to get the store to replace the tank, but the guy told me it would keep happening because with the valve being on the side of the tank it is more sensitive to pressure and that is just the way they are. Is this true? Do I have to live with this leak and just keep a bucket there? If so, why dont they just provide a bucket when you buy the tank? Any info would be appreciated.

Participant

: My 3 year old Mor-flo hot water tank began leaking from the pressure relief valve at the rate of about a gallon a day. I replaced the pressure relief valve twice and was told I needed a new water pressure regulator. I replaced the regulator and set the presssure at 50# with a gauge. The tank was still leaking. I was able to get the store to replace the tank, but the guy told me it would keep happening because with the valve being on the side of the tank it is more sensitive to pressure and that is just the way they are. : Is this true? Do I have to live with this leak and just keep a bucket there? If so, why dont they just provide a bucket when you buy the tank? Any info would be appreciated.Well this is a new one……….. I have never heard this before …….. probably the guy in the store hadnt either until he told you …….. if it seemed you believed him he is probably telling EVERYONE now …… perhaps I have lead a sheltered life during my 40+ years in this game but it sounds like BS to me …….. all valves will leak a bit untill the expansion in the tank takes up as the water heats but when the temperature is up and the thermostat shuts down the heat source you should not loose any water….. however when you draw water off the stored water is cooled by the NEW water entering the tank and the expansion starts again …….. so the cycle depends a bit on use and thermostat setting …….good luck.

Participant

Does your water system have a thermal expansion tank? If so, maybe it needs to be recharged with air. [These tanks are about the size of a football and are typically located near the water heater on the cold water line]. Some cities, to be in compliance with the Clean Water Act, are retrofitting backflow prevention valves at the meter. This prevents expansion of water (from your water heater) from backing up into the main supply lines in the street.sytemin the system of your house from being pushed back (due to thermal expansion of the water in your water heater) into the main water system. Unfortunately, this will cause a pressure rise in the closed loop system of your house and the T&P vlave of the water heater is the release point. Perhaps the incoming water pressure is high already (100psig or more?) A little thermal expansion could easily push the the pressure over the limit of the T&P valve. Perhaps a pressure regulator on the main water line to reduce to 80 psig and/or installation of t a thermal expansion tank if you don;t already have one. [But never install a higher pressure rated T&P valve!)

Participant

: My 3 year old Mor-flo hot water tank began leaking from the pressure relief valve at the rate of about a gallon a day. I replaced the pressure relief valve twice and was told I needed a new water pressure regulator. I replaced the regulator and set the presssure at 50# with a gauge. The tank was still leaking. I was able to get the store to replace the tank, but the guy told me it would keep happening because with the valve being on the side of the tank it is more sensitive to pressure and that is just the way they are. : Is this true? Do I have to live with this leak and just keep a bucket there? If so, why dont they just provide a bucket when you buy the tank? Any info would be appreciated.All hot water systems expand during heating, a mains pressure unit looses 3-5% of its volume during this time. when the element turns off the valve stops leaking. If you prefer the explaination of the store guy, i have a loverly bridge for sale

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This