Sewer Gas

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a problem with sewer gas coming up from the drain in my basement floor. This happened once last January, and all of a sudden has occured 4 times over the last week or so. It always happens between 6:00 and 8:00 PM. I have dunped water down the drain to keep the trap full. But on one occasion, it appeared water was splashed over the basement floor from the drain. I think the gas pressure was great enough to pass thru the trap. I have not contacted the local water & sewer company. Any information on how to stop this would be appreciated.

: I have a problem with sewer gas coming up from the drain in my basement floor. This happened once last January, and all of a sudden has occured 4 times over the last week or so. It always happens between 6:00 and 8:00 PM. I have dunped water down the drain to keep the trap full. But on one occasion, it appeared water was splashed over the basement floor from the drain. I think the gas pressure was great enough to pass thru the trap. I have not contacted the local water & sewer company. Any information on how to stop this would be appreciated.COMMENT: We have experienced sporadic and fairly rare sewer gas odor emanating from the floor drain in our 50s era rambler for a decade or more; we took care of it by placing a rubber bladder in the hole, effectively sealing it off. Recently, the problem has gotten much worse. I think this drain may be tied into the drain system outside the footings of the house. One person advised us to pour water in the drain to flush it out, and, if that fails, to pour some bleach in it to counteract the odor. The water seems to have no effect; havent tried the bleach yet, for fear of making an unpleasant situation worse. Any suggestions about what to do next?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This