CPVC Vs. Copper

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives CPVC Vs. Copper

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am a small builder and have built two homes now using cpvc pipe for hot and cold water supplies. All of the plumbers that I have talked to are against using it. However, two items of interest are one that they only use type M and the second is that after 10 years of use on the first home plumbed with cpvc I have only had one problem occur. After about eight years I developed a leak in a ceiling. Upon investigation I discovered that a leak had occured where the half inch cpvc fitting was joined with a brass check valve. I had used teflon tape on this joint, but the dissimilar expansion and contraction resulted in this leak point. However I have now resolved this problem by purchasing cpvc adaptors which are a one3 piece factory made item which convert from cpvc to tapered pipe threaD. i AM GETTING READY TO BUILD A LARGE AND EXPENSIVE HOME and cannot justify the cost of copper. Dave Powers

Participant

: I am a small builder and have built two homes now using cpvc pipe for hot and cold water : supplies. All of the plumbers that I have talked to are against using it. However, two items : of interest are one that they only use type M and the second is that after 10 years of use on : the first home plumbed with cpvc I have only had one problem occur. After about eight years I : developed a leak in a ceiling. Upon investigation I discovered that a leak had occured where : the half inch cpvc fitting was joined with a brass check valve. I had used teflon tape on this : joint, but the dissimilar expansion and contraction resulted in this leak point. However I have : now resolved this problem by purchasing cpvc adaptors which are a one3 piece factory made item : which convert from cpvc to tapered pipe threaD. i AM GETTING READY TO BUILD A LARGE AND : EXPENSIVE HOME and cannot justify the cost of copper. : Dave PowersJust a few facts: CPVC meets the new NSF Std. 61 for pure water – Copper does not. CPVC will not allow scale build up – Copper will. CPVC does not pit from soil conditions – Copper does depending on area location. CPVC has a very high heat retention – Copper loses heat rapidly due to its conductivness. CPVC has a very high condensation resistance – Copper condensates very quickly. CPVC has a low water sound – Copper is noisy & resonates sound.You may want to call call the guys & gals at BF Goodrich at 800-333-1144 to get some documentation sent to you regarding their product, Flow Guard Gold. It worked great in the 6,000 unit we replumbed last year!

Participant

Dave:– Its not CPVC vs. Copper, its CPVC or Copper. Take the cost of a copper installation, and subtract the cost of a CPVC installation. It is the difference between these figures that will determine if your Large and Expensive Home is going to have plastic plumbing, or a system that give two generations or more of trouble free service with a little help. If your building for speculation, and will not be living there yourself and are looking for a quick sale by keeping the price down..then a man gotta do what a man gotta do……Bud

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This