Need to fix ABS condensate drain

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Need to fix ABS condensate drain

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My condensate drain on my central A/C is ABS pipe. It clogged up and I cut it off to unclog it. I tried to repair it and found that it is not quite the same size as PVC so a coupler wouldn’t fit. I haven’t been able to find ABS fittings in the Wash. DC area. It will be difficult to completely replace it with PVC since it goes under the return air duct into a drain. Any ideas?
        JJONES

Participant

Forget a permanent fix with an ABS coupler. Go to a large hardware store and buy a Fernco (it’s a Hubless connector made out of rubber with full circle clamps at each end), some areas of the USA call them CT’s also.
          It looks like a piece of hose with hose clamps. Place it on the pipe and tighten it in place. It’s a drain line so you really don’t have to worry about pressure, but more importantly, if it clogs again, you have access to clean the pipe.

Participant

It is probably 3/4″ or 1″ Polyethylene which is a material that uses insert fittings and hose clamps. Hardware stores or some plumbing stores should have the correct size fittings if you take a piece of the pipe as a size sample.

Participant

Excellent idea! Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by PlumberBob:
              Forget a permanent fix with an ABS coupler. Go to a large hardware store and buy a Fernco (it’s a Hubless connector made out of rubber with full circle clamps at each end), some areas of the USA call them CT’s also.
              It looks like a piece of hose with hose clamps. Place it on the pipe and tighten it in place. It’s a drain line so you really don’t have to worry about pressure, but more importantly, if it clogs again, you have access to clean the pipe.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This