Slow to heat radiators

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Slow to heat radiators

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a stean heat system with cast iron radiators. Single steam pipe coming in with a vent on the other side. When we got the house 5 years ago, most of the radiators heated up fast and hot. Over that time i have disconected most if not all of the radiators at one time or another. I replaced most of the vents with new Hoffman Specialty air valves, #40s and #1A. The radiators renain slow to heat. If I remove the air vents the radiators heat up fast and spew steam. Do I need to bleed my system? Did I bye a batch of bad vavles? Do I need to adjust my cut-in and/or cut-out pressures? thanks, John

Participant

The air vents are bleeding the system while they operate. I do not remember the characteristics of the 40 and 1A vents, but you should try the adjustable versions so you can let those closest to the boiler vent slowly while the far ones can vent as quickly as possible. In this way, the system will heat more evenly and all the rooms will warm up rather equally.: I have a stean heat system with cast iron radiators. Single steam pipe coming in with a vent on the other side. When we got the house 5 years ago, most of the radiators heated up fast and hot. Over that time i have disconected most if not all of the radiators at one time or another. I replaced most of the vents with new Hoffman Specialty air valves, #40s and #1A. The radiators renain slow to heat. If I remove the air vents the radiators heat up fast and spew steam. Do I need to bleed my system? Did I bye a batch of bad vavles? Do I need to adjust my cut-in and/or cut-out pressures? thanks, John

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This