Well water pressure tank bladder

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Well water pressure tank bladder

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a captive air tank, Brand Name Simer Pump, Model HT7-x, series LT.
        My previous problem was that my pressure would kick on and off twice when ever I put any demand on the system. Then the pressure would bleed down to 30 psi and then kick on and off twice again.(normal cutoff pressure is set at 53 psi)
        I checked the precharge on the tank and it was zero, I completely removed the valve stem and no water came out but the bladder was pushed up against the opening of the valve stem.
        I then removed the tank( which is attached to the water lines with a five bolt flange then that reduces down to 3/4 inch PVC. I looked inside the tank and saw that the bladder was expanded to the same size as the diameter of the tank, when I went to pull the bladder out it then shrunk back down to its normal size.
        I then reinstalled the tank, and serviced it up to 26 psi, (recommendation on side of tank for 30 to 50 psi set up.
        It seems to be working fine now.
        Question?? Should I replace the bladder or does this sometimes happen. I have never had a well system before, so be patient with me if this is not exactly clear.
        Thanks Ahead for any replies.

Participant

If it holds air for a week then I would check it again. Bladder tanks don’t normally act as you described I would be wery of that tank. When was the last time you disinfected it? If your pump kicks on at 30 psi you should put 32 psi in the tank for operating purposes.

The only way an expansion tank can drain is for air behind the bladder to push it out. If your tank does not drain completely than it does not have enough air in it to displace the water inside.

To drain an expansion tank

First you need to drain the tank as far as it can go by itself. Next using a bicycle tire pump fill up the tank only until the water begins to flow out. Do not over pump the tank or you may ruin the bladder. Keep doing this until you are sure all of the air is out of the tank. Now to obtain the propper air pressure this can only be checked with the tank empty. Most well tanks use 30-35 PSI empty. Now it would be a good time to disinfect the tank with some bleach. Use an empty filter sump housing to introduce about a 1/4 cup of bleach into the tank you will need some valves to do this. Now rinse the tank by filling it and draining it sevrall times.

Participant

JODY,THE PRIVIOUS INFO YOU RECEIVED IS WRONG. NEVER PRECHARGE YOUR PREESUER TANK MORE THAN 2PSI LESS THAN CUT IN. 30/50 = 28 PSI PRECHARGE. TRUST ME YOU WILL HAVE A FLAT SPOT IN YOUR WATER FLOW IF YOU GO 2 PSI OVER CUT IN. THIS IS USUALLY EXPLAINDED IN YOUR INSTALLATION MANUAL AND ON THE TANK

Participant

Meejon is correct Jody 2 psi over the on pressure is incorrect. It is 2 psi below cut on of the pressure switch. Thank you meejon for correcting me.

David

Participant

Thanks for the info, I have never disinfected the tank,When I pulled the bladder out the tank itself was clean and dry, the bladder had a little funk in it though, the next time I have it apart I will take you advice. Thanks
                I have had no further problems at this time, so I guess I will just wait and see what happens.
                Thanks allot for the replies

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This