no hot water!

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives no hot water!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi there! I have oil heat in my house and seem to be having a problem with it. My house and appliances are all new (July 1998)so I know it is not the age. But, when I turn my heat down at night before bed, I have no hot water for my shower when I wake up in the morning. It will not work until I go down to the basement and hit the restart switch. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks for your help! Jen

Participant

: Hi there! : I have oil heat in my house and seem to be having a problem with it. My house and appliances are all new (July 1998)so I know it is not the : age. But, when I turn my heat down at night before bed, I have no hot water for my shower when I wake up in the morning. It will not work : until I go down to the basement and hit the restart switch. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks for your help! Jen :jen, is your furnace and hot water supply both on oil fuel? usually up here there are oil fueled furnaces heating through hot air ducts or hot water rads..our water heaters are either electric or natural gas. gas water heaters have a little chimney right on top and if you listen when they are on youll hear a sound similar to a school lab burner…electric ones just have a large sometimes covered cable going to them but both have pipes,cold in, hot out, on or near the top of the unit. water heaters are usually white or tan painted, round and four to five feet tall. is that where you found the reset button? since your house is new i expect that all the equipment is to and that warranties apply to these items. if you still have your water htr instructions that came with the unit(some contractors wire them onto a nearby pipe or leave them on top of the unit when they finish the install.) look in the trouble shooting page. most contractors also apply a sticker on the water htr. so you can call their local service desk for self help info. all water heaters have thermostats you can adjust as well. perhaps the unit is turned right up and its kicking off when the temp is too high. on electric htrs the thermostate is located thru a little panel just up from the bottom edge but be VERY CAREFUL since the live wires are also in there!! turn the htr power OFF first. on natural gas htrs the thermostat is outside the unit case near the bottom edge generally on a copper pipe. hopefully the unit was just set too high. other than that you may have a faulty switch/thermostat does the water ever become scolding hot? has the hot water been doing this since you moved in? is there a problem with discloroured water or minerals in your area? good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This