water heater gone bad

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water heater gone bad

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

We bought our house about a year ago and no papers were left for our water heater, so I have no idea of how old it is. On to the problem…A few days ago it threw a breaker and now is not producing any hot water. I tried the reset button and nothing happened. Could it be the elements? Any ideas?

Thank You

Participant

Could be.
          This one should be looked at by a professional.
          It is difficult to guess from where I am sitting, and I hate to misdiagnose.
          Look at the bright side, it is your water heater and not your kid that went bad.
          Good Luck
          Bill
          The Local Plumber
          Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Participant

“A few days ago it threw a breaker … I tried the reset button and nothing happened.”

You tried the reset button on the water heater? Or you reset the breaker? Does the breaker reset?

If the breaker does not reset, you could have a problem with the element(s) OR the electrical circuit.

If the breaker resets, and the button on the water heater resets, you could have a bad element, bad thermostat, among other things.

Depending on whether the breaker resets or not I would either recommend calling a licensed and qualified electrician (if the breaker does not reset) or a licensed and qualified plumber (if the breaker does reset).

Participant

Hello,
              If your not getting enough hot water, it’s probly the setiment in your water heater giving you problems. There is a device on the web at http://www.kwikkleen.net that will clean your water heater and keep it clean. Debris will cause your elements to burn out and shorten the life of your water heater. Joe “the Plumber”

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by liverly:
                We bought our house about a year ago and no papers were left for our water heater, so I have no idea of how old it is. On to the problem…A few days ago it threw a breaker and now is not producing any hot water. I tried the reset button and nothing happened. Could it be the elements? Any ideas?

Thank You

The first #s of the ser# is the manufacture date to tell how old the tank is.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This