Rusty color water Update

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Rusty color water Update

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, This is an update to the rusty water problem I posted on 11/11/98. The water from the bathtub main in my new home comes out rusty for a few seconds before it clears. To fix the problem, the builder used a copper extension and replaced a galvanized nipple. Im not very familiar with the terms, can anyone tell me how the problem was fixed or whether the problem is fixed?Your responses will be much appreciated!

Mike:–How new is your new house? Does it have galvanized piping for a water system? Does this happen only with the hot water? Only with the cold water? Only in the bath tub? Could this be coming from a water heater with a damaged glass lining? I am familiar with the terms, and it is possible that your builder is applying a tensive force on your lower extremity (pulling your leg). I would get a qualified second opinion from an objective source,before any warranty or guarantee expires. Lots of luck…BudHi, : This is an update to the rusty water problem I posted on 11/11/98. The water from the bathtub main in my new home comes out rusty for a few seconds before it clears. To fix the problem, the builder used a copper extension and replaced a galvanized nipple. Im not very familiar with the terms, can anyone tell me how the problem was fixed or whether the problem is fixed?: Your responses will be much appreciated!

Mike: I made the same repair yesterday to a customer, except I used a brass nipple rather than the copper extension, although that would have been the way I would have fixed it if I had not had the threaded spout. The pipe from the valve to the spout was either galvanized or black steel. The water rested in this pipe and picked up the rust color because the pipe itself was rusting. Putting in the brass or copper extension eliminated the rust source so you should not have the problem. The pipe coming down from the faucet is probably steel also, but water cannot stand it to cause the rusting to begin. So, yes I would say your problem is fixed. : Hi, : This is an update to the rusty water problem I posted on 11/11/98. The water from the bathtub main in my new home comes out rusty for a few seconds before it clears. To fix the problem, the builder used a copper extension and replaced a galvanized nipple. Im not very familiar with the terms, can anyone tell me how the problem was fixed or whether the problem is fixed?: Your responses will be much appreciated!

Mike: I made the same repair yesterday to a customer, except I used a brass nipple rather than the copper extension, although that would have been the way I would have fixed it if I had not had the threaded spout. The pipe from the valve to the spout was either galvanized or black steel. The water rested in this pipe and picked up the rust color because the pipe itself was rusting. Putting in the brass or copper extension eliminated the rust source so you should not have the problem. The pipe coming down from the faucet is probably steel also, but water cannot stand it to cause the rusting to begin. So, yes I would say your problem is fixed. : Hi, : This is an update to the rusty water problem I posted on 11/11/98. The water from the bathtub main in my new home comes out rusty for a few seconds before it clears. To fix the problem, the builder used a copper extension and replaced a galvanized nipple. Im not very familiar with the terms, can anyone tell me how the problem was fixed or whether the problem is fixed?: Your responses will be much appreciated!

Thanks for your replies. Bud: The house was built earlier this year, so its very new. I dont know if it has galvanized piping or not but the problem only occurred in the bath tub, regardless of cold or hot water. So does this mean that the problem lies solely with the extension? : Mike:–How new is your new house? Does it have galvanized piping for a water system? Does this happen only with the hot water? Only with the cold water? Only in the bath tub? Could this be coming from a water heater with a damaged glass lining? : I am familiar with the terms, and it is possible that your builder is applying a tensive force on your lower extremity (pulling your leg). : I would get a qualified second opinion from an objective source,before any warranty or guarantee expires. Lots of luck…Bud: : Hi, : : This is an update to the rusty water problem I posted on 11/11/98. The water from the bathtub main in my new home comes out rusty for a few seconds before it clears. To fix the problem, the builder used a copper extension and replaced a galvanized nipple. Im not very familiar with the terms, can anyone tell me how the problem was fixed or whether the problem is fixed?: : Your responses will be much appreciated!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This