HOT h20-takes 20 min reaching bathroom

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing HOT h20-takes 20 min reaching bathroom

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello…recently purchased a home and thought the h2o heater was dying…it takes 20 min in the a.m. to get more than luke warm water to the master bath on the far side of home from water heater. But when it arrives, it is plenty, plenty hot. There is no rhyme or reason to when we do/or do not have hot water…usually mornings, but sometimes other times of day. no other appliances (washer,etc drawing before or during either) 40 gallon heater, heat pump air/heat…(I thought maybe the hot water water we do get might be the result of the heat pump dumping in the h2o heater) this lag problem is consistent in the master shower/sink, but the rest of the house has the same inconsistent supply of hot water.
        any ideas?

Participant

Sure it makes sence why it takes sooooooo long. Here read this article if you dont mind. http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbing/plumbviews/1999/rec_pump.html

Participant

This is one of my pet peeves.

Water saving water closets of 1.6 gallon per flush are required, water savers in the shower heads are required, yet there is no water saving requirement for water usage / time to get hot water to any given water faucet.

Sanitary guidelines require washing your hands with hot water and soap after flushing the 1.6 gallon per flush commode, yet there is nothing that adresses the fact that it can take 15-30 minutes and gallons and gallons of water just to get the hot water to the facuet so you can wash your hands in hot water with soap.

There are two choices, one was already mentioned: designing for and installing a hot water circulation pump. The second, and possibly more energy efficient, is to install a second water heater in the houses with long hot water supply lines.

If a builder used just slightly more ingenuity, they could centrally locate the water heater on one side of the house between the laundry, bathroom and kitchen,without compromising the requirements for the T&P valve discharge line to gravity drain to the exterior, AND locate a second one over by the master bathroom and the large spa tub.

Now you do not have the energy waste for the hot water circulation pump or the water and energy waste for running excess water through the water heater just to get hot water over long distances.
            [Edited by Jerry Peck on 14 October 2000]

Participant

This is one of my pet peeves.
              Water saving water closets of 1.6 gallon per flush are required, water savers in the shower heads are required, yet there is no water saving requirement for water usage / time to get hot water to any given water faucet.

Sorry Jerry BUT this is one of my pet peeves also HOME Inspectors doing inspections of plumbing/heating and electrical with minimum of training.

You see Jerry according to most model codes they do address this very issue about “water conservation” and fuel conservation VIA return circulation.

Obviously you didn’t read the fine print in the model plumbing code where it PLAINLY states all H/W water having developed length of 50 feet or more from the source SHALL BE A return circulation.

Have you ever thought about telling folks about NICO’s “Just Right” Figure 4750 of course not as a home inspector just doesn’t know about these devices.

Nothing personal BUT I am of the opinion a roofer should inspect the roof and parapets a plumber inspects the plumbing and well YOU should know what an electrician should inspect don’t we?

I am amazed how a plumbing apprenticeship is FIVE YEARS and the same for electricians and 4 years for roofers YET a “home inspector” can do it all and know it all in 6 weeks go figure

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This