adding a bathroom in the basement

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing adding a bathroom in the basement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have an older house with only one bathroom, and I would like to add one down the basement. The house was hooked up to city water and sewer a few years ago, so I can see were the sewer line runs under my concrete floor. 1. Can I just tie into that line to add a toilet and shower drain, even though the upstairs bathroom runs into it? 2. If I can, is it OK to tie the vent for the new toilet in with the old vent or do I need to run the vent all the way to the roof? 3. Also the piping is cast iron, so how do tie into it?

Participant

Pete: It would appear that you should be able to do that tie-in as you described. but do you have a vent that you can tie into in the basement? Also most codes want to see a sink as well in a bathroom group, when there’s going to be a toilet. You may want to get a licensed plumber to price this job for you because the piping is cast iron and is not that easy to work with than plastic. You may also need some type of Back Water Valve installed in the branch line to the bathroom group in case of sewer backups. Good luck. Marty

Participant

Pete: It would appear that you should be able to do that tie-in as you described. but do you have a vent that you can tie into in the basement? Also most codes want to see a sink as well in a bathroom group, when there’s going to be a toilet. You may want to get a licensed plumber to price this job for you because the piping is cast iron and is not that easy to work with than plastic. You may also need some type of Back Water Valve installed in the branch line to the bathroom group in case of sewer backups. Good luck. Marty

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This