Fumes from water heater noticeable inside house

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Fumes from water heater noticeable inside house

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Our LP gas water heater was recently installed and we have been noticing fumes from it inside the house, especially when it is windy outside and even though only the pilot light is burning. There is adequate venting to the outside in the room in which the heater is installed. There is some downdraft on windly days as demonstrated by putting a burning flame at the base of the flue. I have tried raising the height of the vent pipe on the roof and have put a special eind-prood cap on it as well. My neighbor, who also has an LP gas water heater experiences no such problem.Can you think of any other possibilities that would account for this phenomenon?Thanks,Robert Bratset Winters, CA

Participant

Robert:–Fumes or gas odor ? Your post indicates that the problem you are experiencing is present even while the heater is not on (except for the standing pilot). Could it be that what you smell is the odorant (mercaptan)that is added to the gas for obvious reasons, instead the products of incomplete combustion? I would check each and every fitting and connection in the supply piping with a soap solution for any possible leaks. It takes only a small leak to alert a sensitive nose to the odor of the mercaptan that is added for the sole purpose of alerting us that gas is present. Be sure to check the tank area..fittings..regulator..etc.as well. lots of luck..Bud

Participant

: Robert:–Fumes or gas odor ? Your post indicates that the problem you are experiencing is present even while the heater is not on (except for the standing pilot). Could it be that what you smell is the odorant (mercaptan)that is added to the gas for obvious reasons, instead the products of incomplete combustion? : I would check each and every fitting and connection in the supply piping with a soap solution for any possible leaks. It takes only a small leak to alert a sensitive nose to the odor of the mercaptan that is added for the sole purpose of alerting us that gas is present. Be sure to check the tank area..fittings..regulator..etc.as well. lots of luck..BudI WOULD DO EXACTLY WHAT BUD SUGGESTS. IF YOU DONT FIND ANY LEAKS THEN ENSURE THAT THE PROPER SIZE OF VENT WAS INSTALLED AND THAT YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT MAKE UP AIR. A GOOD GAS FITTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This