Water heater replacement

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water heater replacement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I need to replace a State Turbo 880 40 galllon propane water heater and have several questions:1 – Do natural gas water heaters have a nozzle or jet that can be replaced so that they will work with propane or is a totally differrent water heater required?2 – Is is feasible to look for a water heater with the identical dimensions so that the existing venting at the top ot the WH can be used or is that just wishful thinking?3 – Do you know of any source that would list the dimensions of various models of water heaters?4 – Do you know of a website for State water heaters. I searched a little but couldnt find one; I did find your rather neat site, though, while I was searching.Thanks,Bob Langley Winters, CA

Participant

Bob:–1. Natural and LP water heaters have very different controls. Conversion is possible but should only be attempted by a really qualified gas installer. The tank dimensions are the same.2. Yes..there is a cross reference from most manufacturers that will help you select a replacement water heater with similar or identical dimensions thus making the installation much easier.3. State Industries can provide the dimensional data…they must have a web presence, but I dont know it..sorry.4. Try a search using State Industries State water heaters……….lots of luck…Bud.

Participant

You will either want one marked for LP gas, or for Mobile Home use which will have the two orifices and an adjustable regulator. The natural gas heaters have a 6 regulator, but LP requires 10, so modifying it would require a different thermostat and the new thermostat would have left hand burner tube threads which would give you still another part to replace.: I need to replace a State Turbo 880 40 galllon propane water heater and have several questions:: 1 – Do natural gas water heaters have a nozzle or jet that can be replaced so that they will work with propane or is a totally differrent water heater required?: 2 – Is is feasible to look for a water heater with the identical dimensions so that the existing venting at the top ot the WH can be used or is that just wishful thinking?: 3 – Do you know of any source that would list the dimensions of various models of water heaters?: 4 – Do you know of a website for State water heaters. I searched a little but couldnt find one; I did find your rather neat site, though, while I was searching.: Thanks,: Bob Langley : Winters, CA

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This