polybutylene and chlorine

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives polybutylene and chlorine

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am purchasing a 5 yr old house with PB plumbing. It has copper fittings with copper crimp bands. No leaks yet. Plumber tells me that private well water has mineral deposits which can be detrimental to copper fittings. If I hook up to county water supply I will have chlorine. How will chlorine affect polybutylene pipes?

Participant

: I am purchasing a 5 yr old house with PB plumbing. It has copper fittings with copper crimp bands. No leaks yet. Plumber tells me that private well water has mineral deposits which can be detrimental to copper fittings. If I hook up to county water supply I will have chlorine. How will chlorine affect polybutylene pipes?Bettye:I am not a plumber, but I am aware that PB pipes are no good. Yes, chlorine slowly eats up those pipes. I understand that PB pipes have resulted in class action suits. Very few builders still use them. PVC pipes are the good pipes to have. My advice is that you thoroughly research PB pipes and, if its not too late, get the seller to replace all PB pipes with PVC pipes. Andrew

Participant

: : I am purchasing a 5 yr old house with PB plumbing. It has copper fittings with copper crimp bands. No leaks yet. Plumber tells me that private well water has mineral deposits which can be detrimental to copper fittings. If I hook up to county water supply I will have chlorine. How will chlorine affect polybutylene pipes?I have a water supply line that is presumed to be polybutylene (blue color, installed 1988(?)). To date no problems, except that sometimes a vaseline-like substance will come through the faucet especially when turned on full. Is this harmful to drink?Should I consider digging up the yard now to replace the line or wait until it gives out?Thanks Gregor ATL

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This