Hot water heater problems

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot water heater problems

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 20 yr old gas hot water heater (40 gal) that will dispense lukewarm water in the morning but after running the hot water for awhile (and waiting) the water temp rises. It seems that the thermostat is not sensing a slow fall in temperature overnight but will respond to rapid changes with addition of cold water. Q. Can this be fixed easily. [A plumber recommended junking it sight unseen]. Q. If not, what should I look for in a replacement? Brand, cost, design etc. Q. Is there any reason not to go to a 50 gal tank? Q. Are there any special considerations I should know about in the new generation of heaters before I install this myself?

Participant

Gary:—Second opinion…Stay with your ancient old water heater just long enough to find a replacement for it (20 years is a ripe old age for any water heater),the best mileage has already been gotten. Try to find one with similar dimensions…this will make for an easier installation to existing water and venting connections. Current models are very efficient, 40 gallon capacity should be more than sufficient for even a squeaky clean household. Cost for a new heater can vary considerably…shop at your leisure compare prices as well as warranties from several sources…lots of luck…Bud..

Participant

Be advised that most codes now require that gas heaters be installed at least 18 above the floor to minimize fire hazards.: I have a 20 yr old gas hot water heater (40 gal) that will dispense lukewarm water in the morning but after running the hot water for awhile (and waiting) the water temp rises. It seems that the thermostat is not sensing a slow fall in temperature overnight but will respond to rapid changes with addition of cold water. : Q. Can this be fixed easily. [A plumber recommended junking it sight unseen]. : Q. If not, what should I look for in a replacement? Brand, cost, design etc. : Q. Is there any reason not to go to a 50 gal tank? : Q. Are there any special considerations I should know about in the new generation of heaters before I install this myself?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This