new hot water heater is dented

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives new hot water heater is dented

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I recently bought a hot water heater and had it installed. It arrived with a dent on the top rim and also near the bottom. The plumber assured me that it would work OK, and gave me a $25 discount, so I had it installed.Did I make a mistake? Is it likely that the interior workings are damaged?

Participant

: I recently bought a hot water heater and had it installed. It arrived with a dent on the top rim and also near the bottom. The plumber assured me that it would work OK, and gave me a $25 discount, so I had it installed.: Did I make a mistake? Is it likely that the interior workings are damaged?If it is not leaking now then you are probably OK. I would assume that the damage is cosmetic (only the skin was damaged). You would know if you had a leak.Jim

Participant

: I recently bought a hot water heater and had it installed. It arrived with a dent on the top rim and also near the bottom. The plumber assured me that it would work OK, and gave me a $25 discount, so I had it installed.: Did I make a mistake? Is it likely that the interior workings are damaged?No mistake there if the heater isnt leaking sound like you may have saved a buck.

Participant

: : I recently bought a hot water heater and had it installed. It arrived with a dent on the top rim and also near the bottom. The plumber assured me that it would work OK, and gave me a $25 discount, so I had it installed.: : Did I make a mistake? Is it likely that the interior workings are damaged?: If it is not leaking now then you are probably OK. : I would assume that the damage is cosmetic (only the : skin was damaged). You would know if you had a leak.: : Jim JIM!Yep, you are probably OK. But it would have been good to confirm this prior to installing it. Just not leaking is only one concern. It would take a terrible impact to cause a leak — like a locomotive would cause! But the two items of concern are inside the HWH. First, the anode could have been broken off at the upper fitting. Leaks wont occur until for a few weeks or months — after the tank has had water in it long enuf to rust thru the tanks wall. You can easily check the anode even now IF you have the plug type anode. [Large 1 1/16 nut on the top.] The Dip Tube (located in the cold water inlet) is harder to check now that tank is installed. But it can still be done. However, it is doubtful that this item broke off with an impact since it is a very thin plastic tube with almost no weight. By the way, the reason for transporting a HWH vertically is that it tends to cause the anode to break off if travel is over rough roads and for longer distances. GOOD LUCK!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This