well water has coliform bacteria/ not potable

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives well water has coliform bacteria/ not potable

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

in the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandoned

Participant
          Participant

Shelly:—Make the well a condition of the purchase of the property. What is the source of the coliform contamination ? Have the owner do what is needed to chlorinate the well and get a passing grade from the Health Dept.prior to the closing. Coliform bacteria are found mostly in feces of mammals…is there a hog pen…barn…outhouse in the general vicinity of the well? Lots of luck…Budin the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandoned

Participant

: Shelly:—Make the well a condition of the purchase of the property. What is the source of the coliform contamination ? Have the owner do what is needed to chlorinate the well and get a passing grade from the Health Dept.prior to the closing. Coliform bacteria are found mostly in feces of mammals…is there a hog pen…barn…outhouse in the general vicinity of the well? Lots of luck…Bud: : in the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandonedWell has been drained 4 times and chlorinated 2, coliform still present. Is this in the watershed now. Up from well is a cow farm?

Participant

We recently experienced coliform presence in our well that is 10 feet to water and approx 400 feet deep. Our ranch is located in rural area with many horses within 50 feet. We have removed all manure in the area of our main drinking water well but our test shows 13 coliform. We believe in part that the heavy rainsfall this year may have created this problem for us and are in the process of locating a well filtration system either ultra violet etc. to try and solve our problem. After using chloridated tablets and bleach we still have a high level. If anyone has a solution pleasee e-mail us. thanks JohnGray Shelly:—Make the well a condition of the purchase of the property. What is the source of the coliform contamination ? Have the owner do what is needed to chlorinate the well and get a passing grade from the Health Dept.prior to the closing. Coliform bacteria are found mostly in feces of mammals…is there a hog pen…barn…outhouse in the general vicinity of the well? Lots of luck…Bud: : in the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandoned

Participant

: : Shelly:—Make the well a condition of the purchase of the property. What is the source of the coliform contamination ? Have the owner do what is needed to chlorinate the well and get a passing grade from the Health Dept.prior to the closing. Coliform bacteria are found mostly in feces of mammals…is there a hog pen…barn…outhouse in the general vicinity of the well? Lots of luck…Bud: : : : in the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandoned: Well has been drained 4 times and chlorinated 2, coliform still present. Is this in the watershed now. Up from well is a cow farm?My well is also contaminated with coliform. To date I have had three well chlorinations, the well cap had to be repalced because it was faulty as well as my holding tank. I suggest you check the well cap and holding tank. If insects get into the well they cause the coliform reading. Also, I have high iron content to my water which is making it quite difficult to get rid of the bacteria. I will need to have my filter system within the house because it has been contaminated. But, they wont do that until I get a clean read.

Participant

: My church well water has tested positive for coliform, this has happened before and we used bleach in the well, then test came back okey. Then next quarter tested positive for coliform again. Any suggestions as how we are getting this bacteria in our well ? There is no live stock with in a mile or more around the church. Is there any other causes for coliform in well water ?

Participant

: : My church well water has tested positive for coliform, this has happened before and we used bleach in the well, then test came back okey. Then next quarter tested positive for coliform again. Any suggestions as how we are getting this bacteria in our well ? There is no live stock with in a mile or more around the church. Is there any other causes for coliform in well water ?

Participant

: We recently experienced coliform presence in our well that is 10 feet to water and approx 400 feet deep. Our ranch is located in rural area with many horses within 50 feet. We have removed all manure in the area of our main drinking water well but our test shows 13 coliform. We believe in part that the heavy rainsfall this year may have created this problem for us and are in the process of locating a well filtration system either ultra violet etc. to try and solve our problem. After using chloridated tablets and bleach we still have a high level. If anyone has a solution pleasee e-mail us. thanks JohnGray Shelly:—Make the well a condition of the purchase of the property. What is the source of the coliform contamination ? Have the owner do what is needed to chlorinate the well and get a passing grade from the Health Dept.prior to the closing. Coliform bacteria are found mostly in feces of mammals…is there a hog pen…barn…outhouse in the general vicinity of the well? Lots of luck…Bud: : : : in the process of purchasing home w/ well water. the tests show presence of water w/ coliform bacteria, can it be made safe for drinking also well found to be negative for chlorine. should this well be abandonedI have coliform bacteria in my well. After the 5th well chlorination, replacement of the well cap and replacement of the holding tank(the seal was damaged). I finally got a clean read. My well person said when you have a bad bacteria count it sometimes takes multiple clorinations in order to get a clean read. Also, if you have a high iron count to your water(which I do) it acts as a breeding ground for the bacteria. The last cholorination we left sit in the pipes for one full week which helped get rid of the iron building up to.

Participant

: : My church well water has tested positive for coliform, this has happened before and we used bleach in the well, then test came back okey. Then next quarter tested positive for coliform again. Any suggestions as how we are getting this bacteria in our well ? There is no live stock with in a mile or more around the church. Is there any other causes for coliform in well water ?

Participant

In response to coliform bacteria in well water at the church and the use of bleach. 1. Common bleach loses almost 25% of its biocidal kill power every month. Most of the bleach on the shelves has very little potency and therefore is doomed for failure. 2.You cant just expect to pour bleach in the well, and it will majically follow all areas of the well and seek out bacteria. It wont happen.All chlorine used in the groundwater industryis alkaline and drives the pH of your water higher. The effectivness of chlorine is based upon pH. The higher the pH (over 7), the more oxidative it will become (chlorine odor, reddish water as its oxidizing iron in the water, etc.) but the less biocidal it will become. You can follow our web site, http://www.designwater.com for steps for proper chlorination or technical questions.

Participant

In response to coliform bacteria in well water at the church and the use of bleach. 1. Common bleach loses almost 25% of its biocidal kill power every month. Most of the bleach on the shelves has very little potency and therefore is doomed for failure. 2.You cant just expect to pour bleach in the well, and it will majically follow all areas of the well and seek out bacteria. It wont happen.All chlorine used in the groundwater industryis alkaline and drives the pH of your water higher. The effectivness of chlorine is based upon pH. The higher the pH (over 7), the more oxidative it will become (chlorine odor, reddish water as its oxidizing iron in the water, etc.) but the less biocidal it will become. You can follow our web site, http://www.designwater.com for steps for proper chlorination or technical questions.

Participant

What is T. Coli Bacteria???? Please respond!!!!

Participant

In Reply to: Mountain spring tested positive for fecal coliform, what can we do? posted by H. Moriarity on September 04, 1999 at 20:33:31:: : : My church well water has tested positive for coliform, this has happened before and we used bleach in the well, then test came back okey. Then next quarter tested positive for coliform again. Any suggestions as how we are getting this bacteria in our well ? There is no live stock with in a mile or more around the church. Is there any other causes for coliform in well water ? : my tap water has Colifom what should i do

Participant

A test result came today that our well water is positive for coliform. What kind of treatment do we need for ourselves? Shots? Pills? We will treat the well itself with chlorine and retest. Send any info. Thanks. Ill in Oregon.

Participant

: A test result came today that our well water is positive for coliform. What kind of treatment do we need for ourselves? Shots? Pills? We will treat the well itself with chlorine and retest. Send any info. Thanks. Ill in Oregon.

Participant

Well water sample sent in after recent repair; results indicate presence of coliform bacteria. How do I correct? What are the dangers?

Participant

: Well water sample sent in after recent repair; : results indicate presence of coliform bacteria. : How do I correct? : What are the dangers?

Participant

: : Well water sample sent in after recent repair; : : results indicate presence of coliform bacteria. : : How do I correct? : : What are the dangers?

Participant

: : A test result came today that our well water is positive for coliform. What are the dangers? Do we need treatment for ourselves? Shots? Pills? What is the procedure for the treatment of the well itself. Send any info. Thanks. Northern Michigan

Participant

: Well water sample sent in after recent repair; : results indicate presence of coliform bacteria. : How do I correct? : What are the dangers?

Participant

Participant

: : Well water sample sent in after recent repair; : : results indicate presence of coliform bacteria. : : How do I correct? : : What are the dangers?

Participant

if a recent repair was the cause of your bacteria problem, i would demand that the person or persons who did the repair be responsible for the cleaning of your water supply system. if they do not or do not know how to perform this task you need to find a more reputable person to perform your repairs in the future. if you have specific questions about coliform, contact me at e-mail after having visited our web site for more info.

Participant

Does anyone know if it is safe to use well warter with coliform to wash hands if using an antibacterial soap?

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                    • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This