low water pressure: pressure regulator?

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives low water pressure: pressure regulator?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Weve had a problem with low water pressure for the past few months. The problem is at every faucet/outlet in the house. When we turn on any faucet, we get a full/normal powered stream of water for a few seconds, which then drops in force until we get probably � of what we should. I have tried a couple of solutions, but need some advice before the next step.The order of the connections near the incoming water into the house is this: water from outside – shut off valve – water meter – drain valve — pressure regulator – shut off valve – pipe to house. The water company checked the water into the house, at the drain valve just before the pressure regulator, and we have enough pressure there. They also tried adjusting the shut off valve after the pressure regulator, and suggested that there might be problem with the pressure regulator because they had to crank down the shut off more than � way before it slowed the water at the faucet. I tried adjusting the pressure setting screw on the reducer, but it didnt seem to make any difference in the pressure I got at the faucets. So I took off the pressure reducer and cleaned it, opening up everything I could open, scrubbing and rinsing, and then put it back in line. No change – still very low pressure, and again adjusting the pressure setting on the reducer didnt make a difference.So – is the next likely thing to do to buy/try a new pressure regulator? Otherwise, what might be the source of low pressure? The only other thing I can think of is a blockage in the pipe somewhere after the regulator and before a branch to separate faucets. The pipes are all copper, the house is only 12 years old, and there didnt seem to be any buildup in the pipes near the water supply. Is it likely to be a blockage, and if so, how would I track it down? Or is it time to call a plumber?Thanks in advance, Scott Bennett [email protected]

Participant

Do you have a water softener? If so, open the bypass and see if that restores the pressure. Otherwise the most likely problem is a bad regulator.: Weve had a problem with low water pressure for the past few months. The problem is at every faucet/outlet in the house. When we turn on any faucet, we get a full/normal powered stream of water for a few seconds, which then drops in force until we get probably � of what we should. I have tried a couple of solutions, but need some advice before the next step.: The order of the connections near the incoming water into the house is this: : water from outside – shut off valve – water meter – drain valve — pressure regulator – shut off valve – pipe to house. : The water company checked the water into the house, at the drain valve just before the pressure regulator, and we have enough pressure there. They also tried adjusting the shut off valve after the pressure regulator, and suggested that there might be problem with the pressure regulator because they had to crank down the shut off more than � way before it slowed the water at the faucet. I tried adjusting the pressure setting screw on the reducer, but it didnt seem to make any difference in the pressure I got at the faucets. So I took off the pressure reducer and cleaned it, opening up everything I could open, scrubbing and rinsing, and then put it back in line. No change – still very low pressure, and again adjusting the pressure setting on the reducer didnt make a difference.: So – is the next likely thing to do to buy/try a new pressure regulator? Otherwise, what might be the source of low pressure? The only other thing I can think of is a blockage in the pipe somewhere after the regulator and before a branch to separate faucets. The pipes are all copper, the house is only 12 years old, and there didnt seem to be any buildup in the pipes near the water supply. Is it likely to be a blockage, and if so, how would I track it down? Or is it time to call a plumber?: Thanks in advance, : Scott Bennett : [email protected]

Participant

: Do you have a water softener? If so, open the bypass and see if that restores the pressure. Otherwise the most likely problem is a bad regulator.Nope, no water softener, nothing else inline between the pressure regulator and house. Ill try a new regulator. One other suggestion Ive received is that there may be problem (like, something stuck) in the shut off valve right after the pressure regulator. The suggestion was that I dissasemble it; Im more reluctant to do that because its soldered in place and I cant just screw it back in the way I can the regulator.Thanks, Scott

Participant

Tell me about these regulators. I have just the opposite problem, high pressure. The pressure into my house is 130psi. I am also getting 130psi at the faucets. Which way do you turn the little screw to adjust? Tried both directions by see no change. Does this mean that my regulator has gone bad?Thanks Jeff: Weve had a problem with low water pressure for the past few months. The problem is at every faucet/outlet in the house. When we turn on any faucet, we get a full/normal powered stream of water for a few seconds, which then drops in force until we get probably � of what we should. I have tried a couple of solutions, but need some advice before the next step.: The order of the connections near the incoming water into the house is this: : water from outside – shut off valve – water meter – drain valve — pressure regulator – shut off valve – pipe to house. : The water company checked the water into the house, at the drain valve just before the pressure regulator, and we have enough pressure there. They also tried adjusting the shut off valve after the pressure regulator, and suggested that there might be problem with the pressure regulator because they had to crank down the shut off more than � way before it slowed the water at the faucet. I tried adjusting the pressure setting screw on the reducer, but it didnt seem to make any difference in the pressure I got at the faucets. So I took off the pressure reducer and cleaned it, opening up everything I could open, scrubbing and rinsing, and then put it back in line. No change – still very low pressure, and again adjusting the pressure setting on the reducer didnt make a difference.: So – is the next likely thing to do to buy/try a new pressure regulator? Otherwise, what might be the source of low pressure? The only other thing I can think of is a blockage in the pipe somewhere after the regulator and before a branch to separate faucets. The pipes are all copper, the house is only 12 years old, and there didnt seem to be any buildup in the pipes near the water supply. Is it likely to be a blockage, and if so, how would I track it down? Or is it time to call a plumber?: Thanks in advance, : Scott Bennett : [email protected]

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This