Running toilet

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Running toilet

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..

Participant

Wrong. You probably have the little refill tube stuck way down into the overflow pipe, and it is sucking the water out of the tank. Use the little plastic dealie bob that came with the FM and suspend the tube over the overflow pipe.: I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..

Participant

You are correct about having the tube stuck way down there, but isnt that tube dry once the water goes into the bowl ? And how would the water thats being sucked into the the tube be going into the bowl, through the FM somehow ??? Thanks for the help, Im going to try your solution and hope to God it solves the mystery of the runnung toilet …: Wrong. You probably have the little refill tube stuck way down into the overflow pipe, and it is sucking the water out of the tank. Use the little plastic dealie bob that came with the FM and suspend the tube over the overflow pipe.: : I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..

Participant

You may want to check for a crack in your flapper valve seat, it would let a small amount of water flow through. It happened to me and drove me crazy. I replaced it because that was the only thing that I had not replaced. Seems it may hve been broken when it was carried into place by the tank not the bowl.: I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..

Participant

HJ: YOU WERE RIGHT !!! Thanks again but I still dont understand how that could happen, somehow that means a vaccum is drawn on that tube and the water is backflowing into the FM ? Please explain if youb get the time…: You are correct about having the tube stuck way down there, but isnt that tube dry once the water goes into the bowl ? And how would the water thats being sucked into the the tube be going into the bowl, through the FM somehow ??? : Thanks for the help, Im going to try your solution and hope to God it solves the mystery of the runnung toilet …: : Wrong. You probably have the little refill tube stuck way down into the overflow pipe, and it is sucking the water out of the tank. Use the little plastic dealie bob that came with the FM and suspend the tube over the overflow pipe.: : : I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..

Participant

: You may want to check for a crack in your flapper valve seat, it would let a small amount of water flow through. It happened to me and drove me crazy. I replaced it because that was the only thing that I had not replaced. Seems it may hve been broken when it was carried into place by the tank not the bowl.: : : I have a 20 m+ year old gerber (I believe is the brand) toilet that runs every 7 minutes or so. Ive replaced the flapper atleast 4 differant ones and the collal or sleve that the flapper seals against 3 times. Ive used a fluidmaster flush kit and that didnt work. Ive replaced the tank and it still leaks. The tank is level and still the problem. I know the water is going into the bowl because I put dye into the tank and 5 minutes late the bowl water was colored. There is no water on the floor so its gotta be coming under the flap, Right ??? I have a fluidmaster flush valve (ball and cock replacement). HELP, Im going NUTS…..Does anyone out there know about NI toilets? It was purchased from Lunberjack about 12 years ago and has been a constant source of problems. Now the flapper leaks constantly at night- probably during the day also but Im not trying to sleep during the day- I have replaced the flapper but apparently the new flapper doesnt seat well which is causing the leak. I believe if I am able to get an NI genuine part flapper I will be able to sleep at night. Hopefully you will have some information for me. Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This