replacing pipes

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives replacing pipes

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

We live in a house that is appox 35 years old. It has old galvanized pipes and a surface well. We are having terrible water problems, stains, filters stopping up, etc. I am hoping to replace all the pipes under the house in the near future. I want to replace them all the way from the well to the faucets. I want to replace the old pipes with PVC. Do you have any suggestions about what to look for when I find a plumber to do this, or what I should ask for. And is there any way to determine a fair price. Would replacing the faucets be necessary. I also would like a stronger pressure on the system. I beleive currently it is set to about 50 pounds….would the PVC carry this much pressure and could it carry more? Also would using larger pipes help the pressure or sediment problems in the future? Thanks

PVC is not approved for inside house use. And it definitely will melt if used for hot water. If you have to use plastic, then use CPVC. It is approved for hot water use up to a certain temperature. You should increase all piping by one size because plastic pipe for any given diameter has an opening equal to the next smaller size copper or steel pipe. Normal house pressures are not a factor with any approved material.: We live in a house that is appox 35 years old. It has old galvanized pipes and a surface well. We are having terrible water problems, stains, filters stopping up, etc. I am hoping to replace all the pipes under the house in the near future. I want to replace them all the way from the well to the faucets. I want to replace the old pipes with PVC. Do you have any suggestions about what to look for when I find a plumber to do this, or what I should ask for. And is there any way to determine a fair price. Would replacing the faucets be necessary. I also would like a stronger pressure on the system. I beleive currently it is set to about 50 pounds….would the PVC carry this much pressure and could it carry more? Also would using larger pipes help the pressure or sediment problems in the future? Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This