toilet mystery leak

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives toilet mystery leak

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I am attempting to find a leak in my toilet. The water would come on every 15 minutes or so to refill the tank so we knew there was a problem. With the water shut off, the water level in the tank will drop, so I know the problem is with the flush valve. I replaced the flapper and the seat and it is still leaking. I put some red dye in the tank and watched the water in the bowl turn pink, so I know its leaking into the bowl. My next move was to shut the water off and watch as the water level in the tank drops. If it stops dropping right below the seat/flapper then thats where the problem is, but if it keeps dropping, then I know theres a problem with the gasket between the tank/bowl. Heres my dilemna: the water level has stopped dropping about 2 below the normal water line. The first 1 1/2 dropped very quickly and the rest is about 1/8 per 4 hours or so. The normal water line is 1/2 below the overflow tube. Any ideas on where the leak could be? (A cracked overflow tube?) Thanks.

Participant

Pull the small refill tube up until it is just inside the overflow tube, if you dont have the regular end which came with the valve and clips to the overflow pipe.: I am attempting to find a leak in my toilet. The water would come on every 15 minutes or so to refill the tank so we knew there was a problem. With the water shut off, the water level in the tank will drop, so I know the problem is with the flush valve. I replaced the flapper and the seat and it is still leaking. I put some red dye in the tank and watched the water in the bowl turn pink, so I know its leaking into the bowl. My next move was to shut the water off and watch as the water level in the tank drops. If it stops dropping right below the seat/flapper then thats where the problem is, but if it keeps dropping, then I know theres a problem with the gasket between the tank/bowl. Heres my dilemna: the water level has stopped dropping about 2 below the normal water line. The first 1 1/2 dropped very quickly and the rest is about 1/8 per 4 hours or so. The normal water line is 1/2 below the overflow tube. Any ideas on where the leak could be? (A cracked overflow tube?) Thanks.

Participant

Thanks! It worked! Whats the theory behind that?

Participant

Its called siphonage. You know like getting gas out of a cars tank. Same principal, you were just getting water out of your toilets tank and dumping it down the drain.: Thanks! It worked! Whats the theory behind that?

Participant

Its called siphonage. You know like getting gas out of a cars tank. Same principal, you were just getting water out of your toilets tank and dumping it down the drain.: Thanks! It worked! Whats the theory behind that?

Participant

P.S. You should see some customers faces, when I ask them if they have a pair of scissors and then give them a bill for $60.00 after about 5 seconds work. It takes longer to make out the recipt than to do the job.: I am attempting to find a leak in my toilet. The water would come on every 15 minutes or so to refill the tank so we knew there was a problem. With the water shut off, the water level in the tank will drop, so I know the problem is with the flush valve. I replaced the flapper and the seat and it is still leaking. I put some red dye in the tank and watched the water in the bowl turn pink, so I know its leaking into the bowl. My next move was to shut the water off and watch as the water level in the tank drops. If it stops dropping right below the seat/flapper then thats where the problem is, but if it keeps dropping, then I know theres a problem with the gasket between the tank/bowl. Heres my dilemna: the water level has stopped dropping about 2 below the normal water line. The first 1 1/2 dropped very quickly and the rest is about 1/8 per 4 hours or so. The normal water line is 1/2 below the overflow tube. Any ideas on where the leak could be? (A cracked overflow tube?) Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This