Polybute to copper connection

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Polybute to copper connection

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am finishing the basement in our 12-year old home. Before I sheetrock the ceiling, I am replacing all the polybute with copper. There are some 1/2″ runs I can’t get at without ripping out an existing wall or ceiling, so I am leaving the poly. What kind of connectors do I need to use to go from the copper to the poly? All these connections are 1/2″ to 1/2″

tia for any help
        Mark Cherne

Participant

go to your local plumbing suppler. they will have all the parts you need

Participant

Mark: you mentioned that you are going to replace the Polybutylene with copper. I then must assume you are able to solder. If so there are adapter fittings that can be sweated into the tees that will accomodate the poly tubing that is to remain.You will require a crimping tool and rings designed for polybutylene use.
            If you opt to use compression fittings instead of copper solder adapters…be sure to use the stiffener inserts in the tubing ends before tightening the fittings in place.
            You may wish to install some 1/2″
            ball valves on those branch lines just in case a problem arises in the future with the remaining PB.
            Here is some info that will help prevent pin hole leaks in your new coppper lines.
            http://www.Copperknight.com

Lots of luck…Bud

Participant

Try gettng Poly by Female IPS adapter OR Poly by MIPS adapters
              Then use a copper MIPS to connect to the poly Female Or a Copper female adaper to a Poly male adapter DO NOT solder near the poly pipe.

Give yourself about 10″ lenth to act as a heat sink.

Use Teflon paste or tape. Dont over tighten GOOD LUCK

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This