plumbing

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing plumbing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

At my main shut off there is a constant sound of water running. What is it , can I fix it myself, and what are the costs if done by a proffesional? thank-you.

Participant

OK with the information given I figure you have a busted water main.

Now NOT knowing the size ILL assume it is 6″ diameter and NOT knowing the distance from the well or the city water main for your connection ILL cover my back and figure 6 miles of piping. Corporation Type class 22

Considering I charge on the average $125 per hr per man labor plus getting a back hoe operator $1,540 per 7 HR day and having to follow OSHA Guide lines as far as shoring goes PLUS a flag man as this 6 mile stretch can be located in a traffic area

We are looking about six and a half million BUT if you buy a pick and shovel and use a MUCH smaller pipe diameter you can do it for about a buck-ten-ninety-eight.

Participant

Quel fou! Let’s see. Out of that three million, you can take $250,000.00 to invest in some company that you probably only know about from the principal’s interaction on some web site. You may not have a profit/loss statement and the securities may not even be registered. I hope you have not spent any more of the three mil, since this could turn out to be a 30 foot, 3/4 or one inch pipe. One other thing, if I had an engineer in charge of a six mile 4″ pipe and he had to go on the internet to find out how to fix a leak, he would be available for you to hire him tomorrow. Just the musings of a logical person.

Participant

That is more like it. I was beginning to think you were going soft on us. Not like a New Yawker at all.

Participant

“Now NOT knowing the size ILL assume it is 6″ diameter and NOT knowing the distance from the well or the city water main for your connection ILL cover my back and figure 6 miles of piping. Corporation Type class 22”

“Assume” ….. “Ill cover my back” ….. I dont know, but it sure sounds like guessing to me

Participant

Bungie:
                  Not really. I am sure there are many houses in New York city that have 6 mile long 6″ cast iron water services. The only thing is that since the houses are only a few feet from the mains, they have to use a lot of elbows. (It is a New York way of plumbing, in order to pay their expenses. New Yawkers are used to getting ripped off.)

Participant

You misunderstood, Sylvan. I meant that in order to use six miles of 6″ cast iron service pipe to go from the water main to the customer’s residence a few feet from the main, the pipe would have to make innumerable four elbow ciruits to use up the extra pipe. It would take about 27 loops per mile of pipe, so the necessary pit would be about 115 feet deep, assuming you were to space it so the MJ bells were offset from each other. But since installing 30 to 50 feet of one inch pipe would never pay for your quarter million dollar investment, you would install the full six miles of 6″ pipe. The approximately 700 elbows, assuming a 50 foot by 50 foot box, would give enough friction loss so that the 6″ pipe would be required. You would also need a 6″ by 1″ reducer at each end to connect to the house pipe and 1″ water meter.

By the way, do you really still use lead bends in New York? I asked my instructor about them, since I have only had to remove them, and he said they are only used as a “make work” item or where plumbers cannot hit the rough in properly and need a flexible material that can be drifted to the proper location.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This