Lead Pipes

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Lead Pipes

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

Lead is a cummulative poison and can build up in your body over many years. I am not aware of any positive proof that you can get lead poisoning from drinking water running in lead pipes. But then again look at England they have had lead pipes for yonks. Maybe a plumber from England can shed some light on it.: Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

First of all there never were any plumbing pipes made of lead. Maybe back during the days of the Roman Empire, but not in the last few centuries, at least. There are soldered joints with copper pipes and the solder contained lead (up until a few years ago). Also, brass fittings and faucets contain small amounts of lead. SMALL amounts of lead leach out, but it is so small that its usually not worth worring about. However, if you have any concerns, have your water tested for lead and other contaminates. Lead is easy to filter out when found. A far bigger problem is the fact that lead was used in gasoline for many years and spewed all over the countryside.Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

Methinks Pipe Man and mossy are too young. The major cities, such as Chicago and its suburbs used 100% pure lead pipes for the connctions from the water main to the water meter at least up until 1970 when I moved. I dont think you will find any large increase in lead poinoning in the areas for the past 100 years. The plumbers (plumb meaning LEAD) were more at risk because we had to heat the lead and inhale the fumes, and also rasp the lead to get it to the right size. And I am still around so it didnt affect me either. But then we also worked with asbestos before the hysteria set in.The whole lead poisoning from the piping in the house has been overblown by groups which have never considered the logistics of it happening, except in laboratories which prove that everything we use is deadly if you use enough of it.: Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

To continue. If you were to inspect a lead pipe shortly after it was installed, you would see it has a brown coating (patina) inside it. This is an inert oxide, (rust), that is almost impossible to remove without scraping it. The water is in contact with this coating, not the lead itself, and therefore does not pick up any lead from the pipe. Now if the water were chemically active so that it attacked and removed the patina then it would probably also leach and combine with the lead and then you would have some form of lead in the water, but you would also get leaks when the water ate through the pipe : Methinks Pipe Man and mossy are too young. The major cities, such as Chicago and its suburbs used 100% pure lead pipes for the connctions from the water main to the water meter at least up until 1970 when I moved. I dont think you will find any large increase in lead poinoning in the areas for the past 100 years. The plumbers (plumb meaning LEAD) were more at risk because we had to heat the lead and inhale the fumes, and also rasp the lead to get it to the right size. And I am still around so it didnt affect me either. But then we also worked with asbestos before the hysteria set in.: The whole lead poisoning from the piping in the house has been overblown by groups which have never considered the logistics of it happening, except in laboratories which prove that everything we use is deadly if you use enough of it.: : Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

: Methinks Pipe Man and mossy are too young. The major cities, such as Chicago and its suburbs used 100% pure lead pipes for the connctions from the water main to the water meter at least up until 1970 when I moved. I dont think you will find any large increase in lead poinoning in the areas for the past 100 years. The plumbers (plumb meaning LEAD) were more at risk because we had to heat the lead and inhale the fumes, and also rasp the lead to get it to the right size. And I am still around so it didnt affect me either. But then we also worked with asbestos before the hysteria set in.: The whole lead poisoning from the piping in the house has been overblown by groups which have never considered the logistics of it happening, except in laboratories which prove that everything we use is deadly if you use enough of it.: : Is it possible to get lead poisioning from the tap water in your home if you have lead pipes? (My mom thinks that is happening to a friend of hers) Thank you so much for the help, it is really appreciated.

Participant

Well i was wondering if you have some pictures on Lead the metal i need it for an assignment and cant find a picture anywhere please e-mali the picture to me A.S.A.P thankx

Participant

: Well i was wondering if you have some pictures on Lead the metal i need it for an assignment and cant find a picture anywhere please e-mali the picture to me A.S.A.P thankx

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This