Dead Disposal

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Dead Disposal

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a Kenmore garbage disposal, model 175-606140, that jammed. I turned on the switch and it moaned as if it would be jammed then I heard a snap like possibly a breaker in the unit may have tripped. Noew it does nothing when the switch is turned on. I cheched the reset on the bottom of the unit and the GFI associated with the unit but it is still dead. Can anyone offer some advice to direct me to the next step of trouble shooting this thing.

Participant

pwooten: If the warranty has expired on your garbage disposal, it is probably time to think about replacing it.
          Try this and see if it helps.
          Turn the operating switch to the off position…get a flash light and get down on your hands and knees under the sink. Shine the light on the bottom of the motor.
          You should be able to see a red re-set button there..give it a good firm push..you should hear a click.
          While you are still on your knees it might be a good time to pray for the recovery of your ailing disposer.
          Most disposers come with a key that fits up into the motor shaft from beneath to help free jams when they occur.
          You can sometimes dislodge whatever is causing the jam with the handle of a broom or similar piece of wood. Never..Never put your hand in the grinder…ever.
          Now turn on the power to the grinder…if your prayer was effective and the force is with you
          your grinder will be revived for hopefully many more years of faithful service.
          Lots of luck…Bud

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This