Frequent Toilet Backups

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Frequent Toilet Backups

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I have a new house about 3 years old with Gerber toilets. I seem to have a problem with the toilets frequently not being able to flush everything down and then the toilets almost overflow. It seems to happen in all of them. It doesnt seem to take much to clog them either. IS there anything I can do such as meybe replacing the mecahism in the tank or adding some pressureized flushers? Please help I have 3 kids!!!

Participant

Hi conehead, I took a course several years ago from Sloan and the Sloan flushmate.

Believe me the last thing you want is a pressurized flushing tank with children around.

I am not too fond of Gerber plumbing products as I normally spec Crane toilets.

Gerber is a decent product and can be fiddled with to give more volume for a decient flow.

Try dumping in 5 gallon pail of water and see if these toilets take the volume?

Try to find out if your installing plumber installed a 3″ soil line or a 4″ and if he used crappy plastic or the longer radius cast Iron long sweeps for the toilet drainage.

Good luck

Participant

1. It makes no differance if the plumber used plastic or C/I pipe.

2. It makes no differance if the drain line is 3″ or 4″ for each toilet.

3. If you’re area has plumbing codes and the plumbing has been inspected, I’m confident the work is acceptable.

4. As for the toilets, this 1.6 gal. per flush regulation was thrown at the plumbing industry without time for proper testing and experimentation by manufacturers. Initially the toilets were poor flushers, but each year (as a whole) they have improved. If I were you I would replace one of your toilets with a new one, if you find it to be a substancial inprovement, replace the others. As for the best toilet, if you check around YOUR AREA, people will have suggestions.

Participant

3. If you’re area has plumbing codes and the plumbing has been inspected, I’m confident the work is acceptable.

4. As for the toilets, this 1.6 gal. per flush regulation was thrown at the plumbing industry without time for proper testing and experimentation by manufacturers. Initially the toilets were poor flushers, but each year (as a whole) they have improved. If I were you I would replace one of your toilets with a new one, if you find it to be a substancial inprovement, replace the others. As for the best toilet, if you check around YOUR AREA, people will have suggestions.

Participant

Participant

Try having a toto tiolet installed in one location that gets the heaviest use and see if this does the job.

Participant

House is three years old ??

Get the builder/plumber back to fix it

Participant

Cone: Who seems to have the most problems with these toilets..the kids or the parents?
                      If it is both, perhaps a replacement is indicated. The state of the art in low volume flush toilets three years ago was a national disaster. Flushing three times and much plunging was the order of the day. Their have been significant improvements in opreration since your house was built.
                      As for your remark “I have three kids..HELP!”….when I had three kids, I used to say the same thing.
                      BUD..

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Bud..Suncoast Plumbing:
                        Cone: Who seems to have the most problems with these toilets..the kids or the parents?

Its all of us really. Its just the kids seem not to be able to “react” except for HELP ME!!!!!

If it is both, perhaps a replacement is indicated. The state of the art in low volume flush toilets three years ago was a national disaster. Flushing three times and much plunging was the order of the day.

Sounds like us.

Their have been significant improvements in opreration since your house was built.

My parents have pressurized toilets and they seem to work better. However, they said that alot of times it sill leaves torn paper, altough it doesnt get clogged like ours.

As for your remark “I have three kids..HELP!”….when I had three kids, I used to say the same thing.
                        BUD..

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This