Compression supply valves problem.

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Compression supply valves problem.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I recently purchased several hundred “sale” Angle stops: 5/8 3/8 compression stops. This has been a huge mistake.

The 5/8 compression is the problem. Using typical installation procedures I have been unable to obtain a seal that will last beyond 30 days. I have been removing these valve and replacing them with a good quality type.

I am an experience licensed plumbing contractor. This problem is not due to installation procedure. I have used this same valve for years with out a problem and then all of a sudden: wham. I believe the manufacture has made some change or machining tolerances have varied too greatly.

Can anyone suggest a good quality valve for this purpose? Should I simply go to solder stops? Is there a John Guest style chrome stop?

Participant

Hi Safeflow Plumbimg Welcome,

Personally I like Brass Craft
          FIPS Compression.

I like soldering on a C M adapter and then screwing on the valve.

On exposed work I solder either a Copper Female ell or C F adapter and come out of the wall with a Chrome Plated Nipple

The reason is a lot of the newer valves cannot take the heat of soldering ( 95 – 5 ) and a lot folks today never take the valves apart prior to soldering thus destroying the plastic spindle and or washer.

By having on a screwed valve it can be replaced very easily with out any concern about unsoldering it.

I never use the compression compression valves as they may not be able to with stand system vibration and the ones I did come behind were seeping as the nut was either too tight and had a hair line split Or were not tight enough

This is a personal choice. I just dont trust the new imports as far as quality in compression ring materials. Years ago the compression ring had more copper content and was more compressionable, today they add all kinds of cheap filler metals.

Good luck and welcome again

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This